MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sbgk

Re: MQN

Post by sbgk »

138 is still a bit harsh for me, 140 definitely has something missing eg acoustic guitar strings are a bit muffled, but otherwise is highly optimised. Shall see if I can isolate the cause.
elaprince

Post by elaprince »

sbgk wrote:138 is still a bit harsh for me, 140 definitely has something missing eg acoustic guitar strings are a bit muffled, but otherwise is highly optimised. Shall see if I can isolate the cause.
Listened to Alan Taylor "In The Grove"
I could not enjoy v140 with this album
v138/v52 on tubes sounds much better IMHO
You are right v140 something is messed up
Thanks Gordon
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded play v141 and counter v19, hopefully improved, think it sounds ok.
elaprince

Post by elaprince »

sbgk wrote:uploaded play v141 and counter v19, hopefully improved, think it sounds ok.
I try v143/v19/v51 it is better then v138/v52
Seems like you still can tweak a little more somehow
I think you are getting to the end here
Does anyone test these versions?
Post your findings
No one listen to music with MQnplay anymore sad
Thanks Gordon
janh

Post by janh »

elaprince wrote: I try v143/v19/v51 it is better then v138/v52
Seems like you still can tweak a little more somehow
+1. Also thank you.
Gigabyte H97M-D3H with PPA OCXO module. i7-4790T, 800MHz. 8GB Ram, 800MHz.
PPA 2-rail LPSU & Pico. JCAT battery for OS-SSD and PPA v3 USBcard.
Server 2012 R2, AO 1.40. APL HiFi DAC-S, upd. Only use 1644 .wav
elaprince

Post by elaprince »

Just wondering what is the control v52 for??
It doesn't work with either versions except v138
Thanks
iori

Post by iori »

my last good ver is play 134, control 51, counter 15, loader 30 (23ms). If it gives a tighter bass, that would be very good.

v_141_ctrl51_load30_counter19_w10 and previous versions of same series cracks for some 20 seconds from start of play.

think the dac driver is the black hole in the chain. Only a few make the hardware buffer size user adjustable.
Some even don't support kernel streaming.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

iori wrote:my last good ver is play 134, control 51, counter 15, loader 30 (23ms). If it gives a tighter bass, that would be very good.

v_141_ctrl51_load30_counter19_w10 and previous versions of same series cracks for some 20 seconds from start of play.

think the dac driver is the black hole in the chain. Only a few make the hardware buffer size user adjustable.
Some even don't support kernel streaming.
I always check if the DAC uses the Thesycon USB-drivers, which I consider to be the best and are certainly the most configurable I have seen. Though the Thesycon sometimes still had issues where Gordon's drivers did not (I'm not sure which drivers Gordon is actually using).

I have been in (sometimes nasty) discussions with manufacturers about their drivers and (lack of) support for kernel streaming.
I have rejected certain DACs just on the basis of this, regardless of how well they were perceived or reviewed by others.

As it now shows, these drivers and they level they can be configured are crucial for getting best out of computer audio.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
adolfo.a.aguiar

Post by adolfo.a.aguiar »

Aleg wrote: I always check if the DAC uses the Thesycon USB-drivers, which I consider to be the best and are certainly the most configurable I have seen. Though the Thesycon sometimes still had issues where Gordon's drivers did not (I'm not sure which drivers Gordon is actually using).

I have been in (sometimes nasty) discussions with manufacturers about their drivers and (lack of) support for kernel streaming.
I have rejected certain DACs just on the basis of this, regardless of how well they were perceived or reviewed by others.

As it now shows, these drivers and they level they can be configured are crucial for getting best out of computer audio.
Aleg,

I have a Chord Hugo too. Does Hugo use the Thesycon USB driver? How can I configure it? My Hugo produces noise for MQn versions above mqnplay v134.

Adolfo
SDTrans384 with 1X5V and 3x3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Soekris DAM1021 Rev2 with +-12V and 3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Salas hotrodded DCB1, LM3875 Gainclone and IPL Acoustics S2TLM transmission line speakers
elaprince

Post by elaprince »

adolfo.a.aguiar wrote:
Aleg wrote: I always check if the DAC uses the Thesycon USB-drivers, which I consider to be the best and are certainly the most configurable I have seen. Though the Thesycon sometimes still had issues where Gordon's drivers did not (I'm not sure which drivers Gordon is actually using).

Aleg,

I have a Chord Hugo too. Does Hugo use the Thesycon USB driver? How can I configure it? My Hugo produces noise for MQn versions above mqnplay v134.

Adolfo
No Hugo doesn't use TheSycon driver
I don't think they even know existence of it LOL
Thanks