MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
iori

Re: MQN

Post by iori »

there is a separate driver with more functions from Thesycon requiring license
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

f
adolfo.a.aguiar wrote:
Aleg wrote: I always check if the DAC uses the Thesycon USB-drivers, which I consider to be the best and are certainly the most configurable I have seen. Though the Thesycon sometimes still had issues where Gordon's drivers did not (I'm not sure which drivers Gordon is actually using).

I have been in (sometimes nasty) discussions with manufacturers about their drivers and (lack of) support for kernel streaming.
I have rejected certain DACs just on the basis of this, regardless of how well they were perceived or reviewed by others.

As it now shows, these drivers and they level they can be configured are crucial for getting best out of computer audio.
Aleg,

I have a Chord Hugo too. Does Hugo use the Thesycon USB driver? How can I configure it? My Hugo produces noise for MQn versions above mqnplay v134.

Adolfo
Adolfo

I have a USB SPDIF converter in front of the Hugo, and the converter uses Thesycon drivers. I find Hugo performs better over SPDIF than USB, esp. with a good USB SPDIF converter in front.

Also in my office system I use a USB SPDIF converter (a Mutec) which again uses Thesycon drivers.

I rejected RME-products because they use a home made USB driver and also the ExaSound DACs because they don't support Kernel Streaming.

And no I don't believe the native Hugo driver is by Thesycon and it doesn't have any configuration either I believe (I have never really checked that).
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

iori wrote:there is a separate driver with more functions from Thesycon requiring license
Both the Mutec and SonicWeld I have, use the licensed drivers by Thesycon.
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
iori

Post by iori »

Thanks aleg,
very useful information.

cheers
iori
maroni

Post by maroni »

iori wrote:Thanks aleg,
very useful information.

cheers
iori
Hi Iori,
do not know, if a Theyscon driver is a "must have" for you, but for my Hugo using the fidelizer (free) helped a lot (on top of AO and OS in RAM).
Latest MQN versions seem to be a bit challenging for our setup :-)
Good Luck,
Markus
ASUS Z97M-PLUS;i7-4770;Server2012R2;SOtM tX-USB PCI; OffRamp5;AS DAX Discrete "Blackgated";Chord Hugo;EAR 912; EAR 869;SAC Igel;Odeon No.32S.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded control v22 and play v145, how's that for a final version ? use with control v51

v22 replaces v21, found a setting which lifts the proverbial veil

final decision, which is better play v145 or v146 ?
elaprince

Post by elaprince »

sbgk wrote:uploaded control v22 and play v145, how's that for a final version ? use with control v51

I think v147 LOL :)
Definitely v146 here
Thank you
iori

Post by iori »

maroni wrote: do not know, if a Theyscon driver is a "must have" for you, but for my Hugo using the fidelizer (free) helped a lot (on top of AO and OS in RAM).
Latest MQN versions seem to be a bit challenging for our setup :-)
Hi Markus,
Thx
been looking for hardware possibilities. system improvement is an ongoing task.
haven't tried the OS in ram yet.

cheers
iori
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:uploaded control v22 and play v145, how's that for a final version ? use with control v51

Think I prefer v145, but not done extensive listening.
The top end of V146 is bit rounded off and also looses somewhat insight in low bass regions (listening to a Charlie Haden solo on double bass).
V145 keeps more clarity in tone also in these lower bass regions.

It's again the old dilemma: more insight vs a more rounded tone.

Cheers
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

I thought 146 was initially attractive to listen to, but after a while it wasn't giving me what I expected so went back to 145.