MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
taggart

Re: MQN

Post by taggart »

sbgk wrote:Taggart - the only think I can think of is to leave control running and stop play when the track time has expired. Nothing I do in play makes it want to stop.
What you suggested is the only way I could think of to control it from my custom shell as well. So, if you don't have other (simplier) possibilities within mqnplay.exe, I think you should leave it as it is - just to not effect sound quality.

v30 is really good!
m.massimo

Post by m.massimo »

sbgk wrote: I use win 10 defender and it doesn't pick anything up. Probably because loader and play are writing to memory set up by control.
janh wrote: I use F-Secure Internet Security on my Internet PC. I downloaded these two files and run a F-Secure scan. Nothing harmful was detected.
Jan H.
Thank you for your feedbacks.
It seems it's an Avast problem. The file itself are not identified as infected if I scan them after downloaded. It's something related to Google Drive site. However, no problem.
Attachments
mqn.jpg
mqn.jpg (83.58 KiB) Viewed 545 times
TioFrancotirdor

Post by TioFrancotirdor »

sbgk wrote:uploaded haswell v29 play with the hard coded device name as probably still sounds best. So back to the hex editor for those that want to use that version.

use it with the v19 control/loader.

do find the bass to be superior on the ldn version, think that's a good sign as it's one of the hardest things to get from a digital setup in comparison to vinyl, IHO.

uploaded v30 haswell play, just another way of handling the device name, uses the device name in mqnparameter.txt.

think v30 might have something, better bass than 29 and better detail than ldn.
v30 and v29 ldn are fantastic. Can we get v30 ldn?
ASUS-H81i Plus, i3 4360, 8GB RAM, Linear PSU. USB/PCI PPA Studio V2.
Ubuntu Live USB in RAM
Soekris R2R Salas Ref D powered -> Modulus 86 -> MA Silver 8
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

I prefer v30 to v31.
Sound maintains a more open character in v30
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
elaprince

Post by elaprince »

Yes still v30 better
Thank you Gordon
Karl

Post by Karl »

New SSE 4 MQN better than JPlay 6.1

Thanks Gordon.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Karl wrote:New SSE 4 MQN better than JPlay 6.1

Thanks Gordon.
That's interesting, though still think jplay gave up on sq a few years ago.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

elaprince wrote:Yes still v30 better
    Thank you Gordon
    Anyone get any benefit from the new control that switches off the screen, if it's good enough for bugfix emporer it's good enough for mqn?
    sebna

Post by sebna »

Just about to start testing in next few minutes :)
    i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
    no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
    Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
    Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
    sebna

Post by sebna »

Just finished listening.

I keep chopping my library into 50mb chunks... LDN15 is still the king (with its control v7 and loader v7)

It has better resolution, but it is not only about detail resolution but also about space resolution, dimensionality. Music is more layered with it. It gets deeper into the recording picking up all around finer detail and because of it transporting me closer to the music. It is like new versions are slightly veiled and less present in comparison and ldn (I mean previously mentioned combo of play, loader and control) more open in its presentation in a sense of both detail and space.

This combo has also slightly different tonal balance. It has bigger, fuller bass (in a very good way) which other versions cannot match in quantity but at the same time it does not loose control of it.

It has also absolutely no glare at the top end. It goes high but very cleanly. It makes huge difference to listening fatigue or rather lack of it.

I mean, do not get me wrong new versions are getting better and better and you are making progress but the gap is still striking in my opinion. Some of the version would have some characteristics of LDN15 combo but none of them combines all of those elements into one package and none of them so far has this capability to go so deep into the recording, this amazing resolution, which because comes with no usual drawbacks of increased resolution, brings the music to life so much more then other versions. It is a truly remarkable one (the combo).

About current versions, I agree with Aleg that v30 is more open then 31 and best of new ones IMHO. Fresher, faster and snappier from lack of better words, sounding then 31 (would be interesting to hear 30 ldn). 29ldn is potentially very good but I did not finish all comparisons I wanted... I do it on few tracks, and good few back and forth to be sure of what I hear.

Control 20 seems to cut off top end slightly. Making it too polite and slightly recessed (however I like usability of the black screen - no need to turn of the monitor).

If nothing better comes then LDN15 combo I will keep chopping my library indefinitely if it has to be... this is how good I believe it is. I could probably live without the better bass it has but the bump in resolution and benefits from it across the board are too addictive to let go.

Nevertheless, it was yet another amazing evening / night with music (90% with LDN15). Thank you very much for that Gordon!
    i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
    no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
    Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
    Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+