MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sbgk

Re: MQN

Post by sbgk »

Did you try v29 ldn, it should be the same as 15, haven't tested it myself, but it gives you ability to play any length track.
sebna

Post by sebna »

I did but it was not long enough to form final opinion. The problem is that even if it is same as LDN15 both control and loader make difference to the sound as well... will try to test it today.
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
janh

Post by janh »

With mqnplay v30 og loader v19, I also prefer control v19 to control v20. Just more clarity of tone with control v19.
Gigabyte H97M-D3H with PPA OCXO module. i7-4790T, 800MHz. 8GB Ram, 800MHz.
PPA 2-rail LPSU & Pico. JCAT battery for OS-SSD and PPA v3 USBcard.
Server 2012 R2, AO 1.40. APL HiFi DAC-S, upd. Only use 1644 .wav
elaprince

Post by elaprince »

Gordon must be enjoying win10 I guess
I hope He will not scrap MQn development for win server
What your thoughts about win10 Gordon
Thanks
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Taggart, see you have reported having a regen, is there still much of a difference when using different players when using it ?

cheers
taggart

Post by taggart »

sbgk wrote:Taggart, see you have reported having a regen, is there still much of a difference when using different players when using it ?
Short answer: yes!

My very personal conclusions of the last 4 weeks findings:
a. the more optimized an Audio PC already is the less you need the Regen. But most PCs I know can benfit from that device. At least if you like its tonal balance at all.
b. I've tested with three different Mainboards (NUC2 Core i5, M-ITX with passively cooled J1900 and M-ITX with Core i5 3470T. Without Regen there are huge differences even when using JCAT USB card with separate 3.3V supplied. With Regen these differences are still notable, but reduced.
c. JCAT card is another thing. I would tend to say that one could leave it out and will get very, very good sound from Regen connected directly to Mobo USB port. I personally have left the card in the chain, because it sounds a very little bit better to me.
d. Difference between JPlay 6.1/6.2 and the new MQn AVX2 Versions (with JPLAYmini) are still notable. As only my NUC2 has AVX2, I tested the different players with this hardware. And as mentioned, v19 with v30 sound very good to me. At the moment I'm switching back and forth between JPlay 6.2 with different settings and MQn AVX2 for W2012R2. I tweaked it to be tonally almost comparable, but MQn is a bit more of everything. Not night and day here, but if I'm listening without comparing, just to relax, then I choose MQn at the moment. The strenght of JPlay on the other hand is comfort. Of course this all is my personal view, but at least two of my friends at german AH forum had similar findings concerning JPLAY and MQn.
e. USB cables, USB hard adapter, combination of them and different positions of them between PC, Regen and DDC/DAC are playing an immense role.
f. But obviously the most important thing is power supply! If one uses an unsuitable supply e.g. for Regen it could turn out to give bad sound and the Regen will be sorted out wrongly. I tested with 7 different Regulators and/or LPS and almost all of them sounded different. First I did that only for Regen and then for WaveIO as well. I cannot recommend shunt regulators at all. Not for Regen and not for WaveIO, so TP Placid HD or THEL Black Pulsar - though they should - didn't work for me in no way. Akku seams good. But better for Regen than for WaveIO. Need some more testing here.
g. And of course cable types for powering matter. But that's not new, I think.

I never stacked two or more Regens, so I can't say if this is worth it.
Hope that is interesting information.

Christoph
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

thanks Christoph, hope others find your comments of interest as well. The question about using 3 regens was a bit tongue in cheek.

uploaded play haswell v32, had a rethink about the coding and alignment, think it's an improvement, seems much livelier now, works on win 10.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:thanks Christoph, hope others find your comments of interest as well. The question about using 3 regens was a bit tongue in cheek.

uploaded play haswell v32, had a rethink about the coding and alignment, think it's an improvement, seems much livelier now, works on win 10.
Gordon

Is v32 to be used with control 19 or control 20 specifically or just as one prefers?
I prefer the v19 control and load

-----

Just noticed v19 works just fine
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded haswell play v34, hopefully that's it, can't think of any more things to try at the moment.

If you think there's a better version, let me know.
janh

Post by janh »

Listened to mqnplay v30 and v34, both with contr/load v19.

Compared to v30, v34 is much better - clarity, purity of tone, colour, more life to the music.

Very enjoyable to listen to v34, thanks sbgk.

Jan H.
Gigabyte H97M-D3H with PPA OCXO module. i7-4790T, 800MHz. 8GB Ram, 800MHz.
PPA 2-rail LPSU & Pico. JCAT battery for OS-SSD and PPA v3 USBcard.
Server 2012 R2, AO 1.40. APL HiFi DAC-S, upd. Only use 1644 .wav