MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
m5lig

Re: MQN

Post by m5lig »

sbgk wrote:
do we need a whip round to get you a haswell ? There's quite a step up in sound quality between normal and avx2. It's a bit like developing an F1 car, the technology get's passed down. Think we're nearly there with SQ, so next will be functionality. Never know, might integrate it with foobar, wonder what they would say to that.

Unfortunately a Haswell is only part of the solution . Other than one serendipitous moment some months ago I have never been able to play an AVX2 version. And after spending a considerable amount of time searching and experimenting for a solution I gave up on the quest to get these versions working . Part of life in the digital world.
Asrock z87m extreme4, i5 4670K, winserver2012 R2, paul pang usb card v1, sotm dx usb, minidsp 4x10 Hd, rotel 1066 amps, linkwitz LX521 speakers.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

m5lig wrote:
sbgk wrote:
do we need a whip round to get you a haswell ? There's quite a step up in sound quality between normal and avx2. It's a bit like developing an F1 car, the technology get's passed down. Think we're nearly there with SQ, so next will be functionality. Never know, might integrate it with foobar, wonder what they would say to that.

Unfortunately a Haswell is only part of the solution . Other than one serendipitous moment some months ago I have never been able to play an AVX2 version. And after spending a considerable amount of time searching and experimenting for a solution I gave up on the quest to get these versions working . Part of life in the digital world.
Just to ad on this "digital world unexplained files" :
I had no problem playing big majority of the avx2 with my Ivy I7.
After a little crash, I can't play none of the WASAPI avx2's anymore, but still no problem with the KS avx2's!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
sebna

Post by sebna »

Adam how do you like Tellus? What kind of changes does it bring to the system?

And on MQN front, why only Ciunas versions?

For a long time I was able to play AVX2 versions on my AMD Athlon X2 (7-8 years old CPU ;))

Cheers
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

sbgk wrote:Never know, might integrate it with foobar, wonder what they would say to that.
Hi Gordon,
I would prefer to have KS without audioservice or/and an asio interface possibility in MQn first. ;)
Although that might work together with the respective plugin in foobar by the cost of additional processes...

But in general that step could be a good solution offering more people the benefit of MQn and get the ones which are looking for more comfort as well.

Thomas
Last edited by Octagon on Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

sbgk wrote:thanks sebna, should help until I get auto device working or if fixed still sounds better than auto.
+1
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4
sima66

Post by sima66 »

sebna wrote:Adam how do you like Tellus? What kind of changes does it bring to the system?
Seb, not much more to say than is already said here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2903&start=80

Merry Christmas,
Adam
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
sebna

Post by sebna »

haha of course. I have forgotten I have asked you about this before. Sorry about that.
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

anyone tried the 3.94/9.07 versions ?

uploaded a 9.07 1 loop version which I think is an improvement, think it only works on cuinas devices though.

the advantage of 1 loop is less code and the function calls having optimal alignment.

wonder if it's an indication that if the driver was part of the player then the sq would be better.

think the interaction between user and kernel is part of the problem and if it was all in kernel that would better.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Have not tried latest versions yet but below some feedback on recent versions in RamDisk OS Setup.

I got Server 2012 R2 Essentials setup and reduced to Minimal Server with AO1.26b and then everything Optimised in AO except Wasapi/MMCS and USB optimisations.

I had been listening mostly to Control 3.87avx2 and Play 1644 24 bit 9.01 avx2 gk launched from MQNLoad before I converted to RamDisk and the combination sounded excellent wit same OS setup listed above.

Moving this setup to RamDisk has produced an extraordinary improvement in the Music I have listened to so far with Control 3.87avx2 and Play 1644 24 bit 9.01 avx2 gk.

The added detail dynamics and musicality of playback is astounding, its almost like I have added a very expensive set of Ceramic Speakers and a whole new DAC and amplification system.

Today I looked at the resource monitor to see if there are any clues.
When MQNPlay launches a 1644 track I am seeing the following:
CPU usage at on average 0.10% most of which is used by the resource manager with only about 0.01% used by MQNPlay on Core 0 (that is one hundred of one percent!!!)
No Disk Activity once track is loaded.
No Network Activity.

I then went to JPlay and ran the same test:
CPU usage at on average 5.5% most of which is used by JPlay at about 3.8% used across changing cores 3, 4, 5.
Lots of Disk Activity during playback of first track which eventually settles down.
Continuous Network Activity even though I have Network disabled in Bios and no network connections whatsoever.

Bottom line is MQN sounds much better and all I can say is that you appear to be on the right track with recent developments.

Hope to try more recent versions over the coming days, it is a more convoluted process now to update the VHD and then load to RamDisk so hopefully it works OK.

At the moment I just cannot stop listening to music!!
Cheers, Pearse.

Post by cvrle59 »

Pearse - one thing is not clear to me if read your post right. Have you managed ti install mqnload to RAMdisk, or you have to use traditional method with .bat program?
Last edited by cvrle59 on Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1