MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
goon-heaven

Re: MQN

Post by goon-heaven »

Thank you Thomas for all your information!
I run R2 & AO1.30 min server on dedicated PC.
I need to buy some RAM to double up to 16gb and some USB sticks. I'm away next week, so starting to look like a project to do on the long dark evenings when the Fest-Nozs dry up over the Christmas period.

Steve
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Octagon wrote:
sbgk wrote:
some set up you have there, can you provide more details of how it works ?

thanks, guess the only option at the moment is to disable devices.
In short:
I built a VHD from a new, but full installed R2 on a 10GB partition. I built the VHD not from within that R2 but from another one as that has less hurdles.

Add the VHD with "EasyBCD" to your bootmanager.

Boot the VHD and install Firadisk driver to the VHD. You need this driver to boot into RAM later on. Switch "Testsigning on" with bcdedit.

Reboot to other R2 you have used to built VHD. Install Grub4Dos into your bootmanager. EasyBCD offenes a way to do that as well but I have not tested that.

With next reboot you should have Grub4Dos as another choice in your bootmanager. Ok, boot into the R2 you used to built everything. Look for "Menu.lst" which I have in a folder called "BOOT_BCD". Edit menu.lst to point the way where the VHD is stored.

Reboot, choose Grub4dos and choose your VHD. Here you go with OS fully running in RAM.

Ok Gordon, as mentioned in short. There are many traps and many little steps I needed to learn over the last couple of weeks. But the result is an amazing jump in quality.

I know there are a couple of folks looking for smaller VHD. I decided to go with 16GB of RAM and a 10GB VHD as I wanted to know in principle what would be the result. I have even been down till 8GB and shrinking is no problem. But the risk of more hurdles grows. I concentrated on testing quality instand of shrinking.

I will be happy to provide more details, but I guess you folks have much more knowledge as I am just a blind one trying to get what I think is possible. There are also a lot of details of the dedicated Audio PC missing, there is another setup with a standalone Convolver PC in addition to the Audio PC working with both setups OS in RAM.

Take care
Thomas
thnx thomas this is great looking forward to testing it
unfortunately ive dismantled my test build for the festive season
it tends to take over the whole room :)
i might practice on my desktop
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

8.89 is a c version

uploaded normal char set and multibit, multibit sounds better to me.
Karl

Post by Karl »

I think Thomas is not the discoverer of RAM Disk for audio, look at

http://www.aktives-hoeren.de/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5848

The man who was looking for the fastest os was the german guy Trinnov.

The next days Trinnov will publish a pdf for making Server 2012 OS in RAM Disk with 3,9GB.

Therefore you only need 8 GB RAM.
goon-heaven

Post by goon-heaven »

Thanks Karl for your valuable information on Trinnov, and 8Gb RAM being plenty. I eagerly await his pdf.
I hope Trinnov can share his discovery with Tir Na?
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Karl wrote:I think Thomas is not the discoverer of RAM Disk for audio, look at

http://www.aktives-hoeren.de/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5848

The man who was looking for the fastest os was the german guy Trinnov.

The next days Trinnov will publish a pdf for making Server 2012 OS in RAM Disk with 3,9GB.

Therefore you only need 8 GB RAM.
It's an interesting area.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

8.91 - turn up to 11, think it's nearly there now.

Shall try and get hirez working next.
sebna

Post by sebna »

Thomas. lets not forget the important part ;) How does it sound? Is it an improvement over SSD / HDD. Which parts of sound has been affected by running it directly from RAM?

Cheers
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
Fujak

Post by Fujak »

I have done the WinRAM thing since one week, and I can confirm, that the difference in SQ is not in the range of an AO or Win8 vs. Windows Server 2012. It is a jump into another league of SQ. More space, more clarity, more details, more controlled and deep bass performance, more musical flow. It is an addictivly sound you can't stop listening to.

The procedure is not easy at the beginning but after some time of experimenting you are able to assemble a shrinked OS in a 4GB-VHD within one hour. The shrinked version needs an 8GB RAM setup, the unshrinked version (as Thomas/Octagon does) needs a 16GB setup. I guess (!) that the difference in SQ between both versions is not too big, because the SQ affecting aspect in OS are the things, that AO is changing/deactivating (which by the way still increases SQ in this WinRAM setup).

Another interesting thing: The difference in SQ between e.g. Foobar and MQn still exists, like the difference between several versions of MQn as well - but on a higher level. So the old philosophy in PC-Audio is still valid: Everything matters.
PC: i5, 8GB RAM, SSD, WS 2012 R2 (64bit) RAM loaded, AO | DDC: XMOS-WaveIO
10MHz-Master-Clock: Morion MV89 | Reclocker-Cascade: 3x Mutec MC-3+ | DAC: Audio-GD Master 7
Preamp: Audio-GD Master 1 | Speaker: Adam Tensor Epsilon | Sub: Teufel M11000 THX II
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Interesting might work well with external clean power to ram mod
definitely worth investigating
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's