MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: MQN

Post by nige2000 »

right uploaded 2.52 v2
sse2 and sse4 versions

didnt get listening to them yet
but supposed to be the bizz
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tw9i3e9dkky9j6q/Qe7aL08-jF

is there anyone else trying these??
or am i uploading for the crack

john is there much sq difference between sse2 and sse4 ?
ive only tried sse2 once..
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Just a bit like a school teacher setting homework excercises for the weekend. I promise I will be a goody boy and try this out.
Have 49 and something before it and haven't had the chance to listen yet. BTW I don't think you are wasting your time just the older folk move a bit slower. But they do get there eventually(including myself)
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

i just thought that the mqn's archive was a bit daunting for beginners (sorting out which files was required etc)
thats why i uploaded the complete folders
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

I finally got time to download Server 2012 R2 last night so next decision install on usb stick or SSD.
Will try Minimal server install as up to now all my installs have been Server Core.
Then figure out whether to go for Control or Audio PC or both!!
Hopefully by next week I will have it all figured out and will report back.

Post by Claus »

Thanks for uploading these, Nige. I did a new win8 install on the NUC SSD and first tried CAD optimizer script but could not get mQN to work under it. Then tried 2.49 vs. JPLAY on Core (stick). JPLAY still edges it here with a bit more soundstage and fuller sound. The mQN does have a lovely analog feel to it which is very appealing. Will test out 2.52 today if time permits.
Claus

Post by Claus »

Ok did a quick AB with JPLAY on the win8 SSD install: The difference is NIGHT and DAY! The mQN sounds huge, deep and ultra detailed compared to JPLAY! Wow I can't believe this. It is as big as when I went core and optimiser!
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:right uploaded 2.52 v2
sse2 and sse4 versions
Don't know yet, Nige - I've only run SSE2 on my laptop because it can't handle SSE4 instructions set - it's an AMD CPU.
I never tried SSE2 on the NUC to compare to SSE4.
I'm sure some of your students will try it & report back!

Considering that we were using an older version in Tony's to compare to Jplay & Vinyl, I'm pretty sure the current MQN version has easily left both these behind now!!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:
nige2000 wrote:right uploaded 2.52 v2
sse2 and sse4 versions
Don't know yet, Nige - I've only run SSE2 on my laptop because it can't handle SSE4 instructions set - it's an AMD CPU.
I never tried SSE2 on the NUC to compare to SSE4.
I'm sure some of your students will try it & report back!

Considering that we were using an older version in Tony's to compare to Jplay & Vinyl, I'm pretty sure the current MQN version has easily left both these behind now!!
Ken is sse2 only but has nothing except a laptop aith firewall and antivirus on it to compare it to sse4( id imagine the gap will be more than swallowed up)
i had lent him my server r2 with all the sse4's on it, we then realised his processor was sse3 and below when it didn't work

i tried a sse2 once but sse4 was more expansive for me that time, i would suspect this to be a trend
the newer cpu's will be a better performer id imagine

Quad core vs dual core affinity i have not tested yet

but its great that mqn can use every tool in these new cpu's toolbox in the pursuit of better SQ
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

I'm listening to 2.52SSE2 right now and the sound is superb. Last night I listened to 2.49SSE2 http://www.allmusic.com/album/new-moon- ... 0000183491 I've owned this CD for nearly 20 years but listening to the track Memphis I heard it as never before with distinct , clear lyrics. A major revelation. The SQ on 16/44.1 is well ahead of Jplay already and presumably there is more development to come. For me the major step when the dev of 16/44.1 is finished is the completion of 24bit . At that point the layout will be rearranged to suit and there'll be Meicords,routers,Maplins etc available.
I'm restricted by my CPU to SSE2 versions of mqn but that problem is not insurmountable.
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
tony

Post by tony »

Trying out 52 now. I assume no need to go back to 48? Scary stuff for me, Flamingo sketches from Kind of Blue which has always been challenging on my ears, just the first trumpet(hope that is the right instrument) solo bits at the very beginning which can be very piercing. With 52 and even the early versions that harshness has disappeared. All the detail is still there and the soundstage is entralling. I should switch back to Jplay to compare but couldn't be bothered. I think instead of another zuma for controlpc I just need a long vdu cable and cordless keyboard/mouse.

I suppose for completeness it will have to play hires but for 99% of what I listen to for the moment I am fine.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.