What are you listening two?

fergus

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by fergus »

This morning I was listening to the music of Schutz and Monteverdi....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote: I am delighted that you are enjoying Zinman's Beethoven thus far Seán. I remember that you have a particular regard for Nos. 1 & 2. I remember that I did a comparison for myself many years ago between the von Karajan 1963 cycle and the Zinman cycle and although not as totally "complete" or quite as powerful as the von Karajan, the Zinman readily held its own in that comparison. I never have any hesitation whne recommending the Zinman Beethoven cycle. You will also find that he is very good in the music of R Strauss when you further delve into that box set.
I am very pleasantly surprised with his Beethoven. I have also listened to the first movement of the 'Resurrection' and it is far preferable to his treatment of the 'Titan'. I am really looking forward to absorbing the rest of Beethoven's works and I will probably head for Mahler and then Schubert next. I don't have very many recordings of music by Srrauss so I am really glad that you can recommend them too........it is a very enjoyable journey indeed.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Today it was Les Arts Florissants. Absolutely marvelous concert with chamber music and cantatas by Campra, Couperin, Bernier, Marais, Jacquet de la Guerre, Clérambault and Monteclair. The soloists were soprano Elodie Fonnard and baritone Marc Maullion. But of course it was the immense presence of William Christie that dominated the evening. Words can´t describe the sheer elegance and perfection of the music making. Unforgettable.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote: Image

First Gardiner and now Christie....I think that you are only teasing us Pepe LOL!!! It must have been a wonderful recital.
fergus

Post by fergus »

A wonderful recital of six sonatas for Guitar, Cello and Harpsichord by Geminiani....

Seán

Post by Seán »

Franz Schubert
Symphony no 5 & 6

Tonhalle Orchestra Zurich
David Zinman conducting

This is another very enjoyable set of performances. I am sitting here scratching my head getting splinters wondering why I had a mental block when it came to considering Zinman and the Tonhalle, I was unfair to the man and this marvellous ensemble.

I wanted another Schubert set as I only have four other complete cycles, I love Schubert's symphonies and this set fits the bill very nicely indeed......and now back to the music.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:

First Gardiner and now Christie....I think that you are only teasing us Pepe LOL!!! It must have been a wonderful recital.
Lovely Pepe, I am delighted you enjoyed it and thanks for the gorgeous photographs (you tease)
Seán

Post by Seán »

Perhaps I should return to Beethoven:
Jose Echenique wrote:
fergus wrote:In relation to Beethoven's Missa Solemnis my top recommendations would be Gardiner (on the Archiv Produktion label - I do not have his new recording on SDG yet), Levine (Deutsche Grammophon) and Klemperer (on EMI). Some people like the Herreweghe (on Harmonia Mundi) but for me the others carry more weight which is important in this work.
The SDG recording is vastly superior to the Archiv dear Fergus, and let me add the really excellent David Zinman version, which is very inexpensive too.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Seán wrote:Perhaps I should return to Beethoven:
Jose Echenique wrote:
fergus wrote:In relation to Beethoven's Missa Solemnis my top recommendations would be Gardiner (on the Archiv Produktion label - I do not have his new recording on SDG yet), Levine (Deutsche Grammophon) and Klemperer (on EMI). Some people like the Herreweghe (on Harmonia Mundi) but for me the others carry more weight which is important in this work.
The SDG recording is vastly superior to the Archiv dear Fergus, and let me add the really excellent David Zinman version, which is very inexpensive too.
The Zinman Missa Solemnis is one of the truly great performances on records, right up there with Gardiner´s and Herreweghe´s, and if his choir, good as it is, is not in the Monteverdi Choir class, Zinman´s quartet is finer than Gardiner´s or Herreweghe´s, and the solo quartet carries a lot of weight in the Missa.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:

You have no idea Fergus, the singers actually "acted" the cantatas, and they moved with the grace of ballet dancers. Musically, it was all heaven, every phrase sung and said with exquisite refinement. The young theorbo player (seen next to Christie) literally read Christie´s mind, it was uncanny how they played together. There was a suite by Le Roux with 2 violins, gamba and continuo that was to die for. Listening to Les Arts Florissants in this repertoire you rest assured that it´s as good as it gets.