What are you listening two?

Seán

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Seán »

Jose Echenique wrote: Anima Eterna and Jos van Imerseel are playing here in 2 weeks. An all Schubert concert on the fortepiano and next day Beethoven´s 5th and 6th. They are also doing all Beethoven symphonies in Guanajuato.
I have yet to warm to what I have heard of van Immerseel's Beethoven cycle, perhaps I should get it? Pepe, Are you going to attend these concerts?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote: This HAS to warm your heart dear Fergus:

I have that set Pepe along with eight other complete cycles and 12 performances of individual concertos. As you can see I have tried very hard to "like" these works. The problem with the music itself and not with any individual performance or performer. These were written, as you know, when Mozart was relatively young but that in itself is not an issue for me as he wrote finer music when he was even younger. I personally believe that he was not interested in writing violin concertos [he never wrote any more after these] and I believe that he did not put his best effort in here. I often wonder if he had wtitten viola [his stringed instrument of choice] concertos would they have been very different?
Anyway I will not give up just yet!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

A terrific disc; great music and great playing! The track that I am currently listening to is hauntingly beautiful.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

Seán wrote:Image

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Symphony No. 39 & 40

Anima Eterna Brugge
Jos van Immerseel conducting.

These are two lovely performances of Mozart's magical works, they are hugely enjoyable.
I have these performances on repeat listening today and they are superb, I love them.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Seán wrote:

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Symphony No. 39 & 40

Anima Eterna Brugge

These are two lovely performances of Mozart's magical works, they are hugely enjoyable.
I have these performances on repeat listening today and they are superb, I love them.
Yep, for most of the day.
DonKC

Post by DonKC »

My conductor hero turned 93 on Oct 3rd. Happy Birthday Stanislaw Skrowaczewski. One of my earliest live concerts was a Minnesota Orchestra/Skrowaczewski concert at the University of Illinois. They did the Shostakovich 5th, the von Weber "Euryanthe" Overture but I do not remember the rest... it was like 1976 or so. The 5th bowled me over with its live power and what I remember was a very dramatic performance.

Anyway.. tonight is his wonderful Bruckner 8 with Saarbrücken RSO, and then the long out of print Mercury Shostakovich 5th with Minneapolis (as it was then) for old times sake.
markof

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Seán wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote: Anima Eterna and Jos van Imerseel are playing here in 2 weeks. An all Schubert concert on the fortepiano and next day Beethoven´s 5th and 6th. They are also doing all Beethoven symphonies in Guanajuato.
I have yet to warm to what I have heard of van Immerseel's Beethoven cycle, perhaps I should get it? Pepe, Are you going to attend these concerts?
I will go to the two concerts here in Mexico City, Seán. The complete cycle is being done in 8 days, and I can´t leave the dog that long with the housekeeper. But I will go to Guanajuato for the Hallenberg/Rousset concert.
markof

Post by markof »

Seán wrote:

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Symphony No. 39 & 40

Anima Eterna Brugge

I fully agree. They were suggested to me on this very forum about 6 months ago and are on regular rotation.
Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Seán

Post by Seán »

DonKC wrote:My conductor hero turned 93 on Oct 3rd. Happy Birthday Stanislaw Skrowaczewski. One of my earliest live concerts was a Minnesota Orchestra/Skrowaczewski concert at the University of Illinois. They did the Shostakovich 5th, the von Weber "Euryanthe" Overture but I do not remember the rest... it was like 1976 or so. The 5th bowled me over with its live power and what I remember was a very dramatic performance.

Anyway.. tonight is his wonderful Bruckner 8 with Saarbrücken RSO, and then the long out of print Mercury Shostakovich 5th with Minneapolis (as it was then) for old times sake.
Lovely, enjoy.