What are you listening two?

Seán

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Seán »

I was inclined to listen to Haydn, a little Mozart and the Beethoven; but lately I am swapping between Bach and Shostakovich. What a combination! The mind works in mysterious ways, well mine does anyway.

Dmitri Shostakovich
Symphony No. 5
Symphony No. 4

WDR Sinfonieorchester
Rudolf Barshai conducting.

I think that this is a great set.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ivor wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:16 pm Uncultured pearl that I am... Sunday relaxation with harpsichord and organ

Harpsichord Concerto no.5 in G Minor
Composed By – Thomas Arne
Harpsichord – George Malcolm

Organ Concerto In D Minor, Op. 7, No.4
Composed By – Georg Friedrich Händel
Organ – George Malcolm
Score Editor – Christopher Hogwood
Great stuff Ivor. The ASMF are a great ensemble and I am very fond of Hogwood's work too.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Seán wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:02 pm
The Kondrashin box set has been on my 'must get' list of recordings for more than a decade now. But it has been out of print for far too long and the only sets available have been second hand sets at a rip off price. Some day perhaps.
Given this, it's interesting that it's available to stream on Qobuz. I must give it a go.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

Ariosti :The Stockholm Sonatas I

Really good music play by terrific musicians in state of the art sound.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

And back to Haydn

Joseph Haydn
Paukenmesse

Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra
Tölzer Knabenchor
Monica Groop; Ann Monoyios; Jörg Hering and Harry van der Kamp
Bruno Weil conducting

I love this
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:15 pm
Seán wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:02 pm
The Kondrashin box set has been on my 'must get' list of recordings for more than a decade now. But it has been out of print for far too long and the only sets available have been second hand sets at a rip off price. Some day perhaps.
Given this, it's interesting that it's available to stream on Qobuz. I must give it a go.
Great idea Simon. If I ever get a good streamer I might subscribe to Qobuz, it's probably the only service that would interest me.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Hello Seán. You have a PM.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:33 pm Hello Seán. You have a PM.
Hi Fergus, I have just sent a response.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

fergus wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:18 pm Accentus: Transcriptions [Equilbey]

Some years ago I went through a phase of collecting recordings made by Laurence Equilbey. I liked his style and I really liked the sound of the ensemble Accentus.
However, this particular CD was, for me, a major dud. Below is the back cover showing the works transcribed [using various texts - these tracks are not merely a vocalise] by Equilbey for Accentus. No doubt there are lovers of this CD out there but they are certainly not for me.

Culled it is!
I somewhat agree about that disc. But you never noticed that Equilbey is female?
fergus

Post by fergus »

JS Bach: Organ Works [Winsemius]

The first thing that struck me on listening to this CD for the first time was the huge presence of both the performances and the recording. The playing of Winsemius is terrific, bold and assertive. The organ is very full sounding and this aspect is very well captured in a warm acoustic in this recording. The presentation as a whole is very powerful but also very well balanced.
The performance and recording of the Prelude & Fugue in B minor, BWV 544 in particular is simply magnificent! Just WOW!!
The performance of Fantasia & Fugue in G minor, BWV 542 also gets a very honourable mention.
The other music on the CD is not of the same sheer brutal intensity but they are, nonetheless, all performed and recorded excellently.
This is a terrific CD.