Post by fergus »

Stradella: Christmas Cantatas....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
mcq

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by mcq »

Listening this afternoon to one of the great versions of Rossini's masterpiece, Il barbiere di Siviglia.  What Abbado brings to this performance is an understanding of Rossini's debt to Mozart, and in particular to the latter's urbane wisdom which runs counter to many of Rossini's Romantic contemporaries.  There is such an ineffable joie de vivre about this work and this performance.  It is wholly ensemble-driven in the same way as a successful  performance of  Cosi fan Tutte might be and is not as reliant on individual star performances as Tristan und Isolde which demands absolute technical virtuosity from its singers as a prerequisite.  If one sees the apotheosis of 19th century Romantic musical thought as Schubert's Winterreise and Wagner's Tristan und Isolde, both of which are united by an obsession with the emancipating power of death, then here we see a return to an embracing of life as something to be cherished, where disappointment is faced with stoical acceptance and the dignity of life is to be preserved with grace, charm and an abundance of wit.  To recall a famous line by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry :  "What saves a man is to take a step.  And then another step."

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
fergus

Post by fergus »

mcq wrote:Listening this afternoon to one of the great versions of Rossini's masterpiece, Il barbiere di Siviglia.  What Abbado brings to this performance is an understanding of Rossini's debt to Mozart, and in particular to the latter's urbane wisdom which runs counter to many of Rossini's Romantic contemporaries....
Interestingly, that is the very reason why I personally find it difficult to listen to the music of Rossini. I cannot divorce it from Mozart's and end up saying to myself "Why not listen to the original Master?" which is invariably what happens. I know that I am probably missing out on some wonderful music as a result and will more than likely be accosted from all sides for saying this but that is just me and that is how it is I am afraid. Do I need help?!?!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Bernstein's version of Mahler 3....

mcq

Post by mcq »

A wonderful recent release from Alfredo Bernardini and his ensemble, Zefiro, that concentrates on a selection of Venetian baroque oboe repertoire.  Utterly beautiful music in sympathetic performances that simply exude charm.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
fergus

Post by fergus »

mcq wrote:A wonderful recent release from Alfredo Bernardini and his ensemble, Zefiro, that concentrates on a selection of Venetian baroque oboe repertoire.  Utterly beautiful music in sympathetic performances that simply exude charm.

That one looks very attractive Paul!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Schutz: The Christmas Story directed by Norrington....

fergus

Post by fergus »

Monteverdi: some Vesper music....

Seán

Post by Seán »

What a day! I have spent most of it indoors but am I unable to enter my beloved
Music Room because my daughter has taken over it and is using it to prepare for her exams. Woe is me!
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:What a day! I have spent most of it indoors but am I unable to enter my beloved
Music Room because my daughter has taken over it and is using it to prepare for her exams. Woe is me!
Ah, the sarcrafices of Parenthood....but do the offspring appreciate it? Not on your life!! You have my sympathies sir!!