What are you listening two?

Seán

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Seán »

Jose Echenique wrote:
fergus wrote:Listened to Carmen over the course of today....

Not only the greatest Carmen but one of THE great recordings of the Century. They just don´t do them like that any more.
There was only one Claudio Abbado and what an extraordinary cast that is, the mind boggles.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Adrian wrote:Vivaldi L'estro Armonico, Wind and Brass Concerti

Most enjoyable.... therapy continuing!!

Hope you are happy!! Great music too!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:

There was only one Claudio Abbado and what an extraordinary cast that is, the mind boggles.

That one is on vinyl Seán and the sound is wonderful!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán said that it would be good and it was good, really very good! The performances had great power and drive and were very evocative of the rugged landscape from which the music comes. I just loved the glorious sound of the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra who were very well recorded by the legendary Decca engineers.
mcq

Post by mcq »

I've been basking in this for the last few nights.  My God, how I love this music. For me, this is the very epitome of heavenly bliss and joy unconfined.  A genuinely life-enhancing experience and one of the great recording achievements of the last 30 years.  The sheer love that Ross had for Scarlatti's music becomes more palpable with every passing listen.  Listen and be intoxicated by the great music but grieve for the man who was robbed from us far too early at 38.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

mcq wrote:I've been basking in this for the last few nights.  My God, how I love this music. For me, this is the very epitome of heavenly bliss and joy unconfined.  A genuinely life-enhancing experience and one of the great recording achievements of the last 30 years.  The sheer love that Ross had for Scarlatti's music becomes more palpable with every passing listen.  Listen and be intoxicated by the great music but grieve for the man who was robbed from us far too early at 38.

He was one of the first Classical Music casualties of the AIDS epidemic in the 1980´s. French countertenor Henri Ledroit was another.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Currently enjoying... Handel Messiah Highlights... Scholars Baroque Ensemble

Let the Good Times Roll...................
fergus

Post by fergus »

mcq wrote:I've been basking in this for the last few nights.  My God, how I love this music. For me, this is the very epitome of heavenly bliss and joy unconfined.  A genuinely life-enhancing experience and one of the great recording achievements of the last 30 years.  The sheer love that Ross had for Scarlatti's music becomes more palpable with every passing listen.  Listen and be intoxicated by the great music but grieve for the man who was robbed from us far too early at 38.

I bought that set a few years ago and had immediate similar feelings regarding both the music and the performances. It was one of the most important purchases of my collection; Ross’ performances are that infectious.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Adrian wrote:Currently enjoying... Handel Messiah Highlights... Scholars Baroque Ensemble

Three Classical offerings in relatively quick succession - therapy taking a wrong turn LOL?!?!
fergus

Post by fergus »

mcq posted this one recently and I was attracted to it. I then read up on the composer and was further intrigued enough to make the purchase....

Great stuff - if you like Haydn you will really like this music; well crafted and with a voice of his own. Recommended.