What are you listening two?

Jose Echenique

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Jose Echenique »

Hard to believe it´s almost 60 years since West Side Story was premiered in Washington D.C.
And it´s harder to believe that The Music Man won the Tony for best musical in 1958 instead of Leonard Bernstein´s most popular and enduring work for the stage.
But maybe it was the 1961 film rather than the Broadway production that really made West Side Story popular.
I can´t even remember when I first heard this musical, but I must have been really young since my brother played to no end the original Broadway album, so by the time I was old enough to see the film I knew all the songs by heart... and I have always been fond of West Side Story.
When Bernstein made his DG recording in 1984 we all had high hopes that unfortunately were not entirely fulfilled. It is reasonable to cast operatic singers since the vocal writing is mostly operatic, the problem is that ideally, they must still sound young enough to be teenagers. By 1984, Kiri Te Kanawa was in her prime and José Carreras just past his, but Te Kanawa who indeed was familiar with West Side Story, sounded much too mature for María. Carreras was mostly criticized for his heavy accent, since Tony is the local American. But the truly great performance came from the late Tatiana Troyanos as Anita, she has so much fun with her songs and is so much at home with the music that "crossover" for once was completely successful.

Now Michael Tilson Thomas takes his wonderful West Coast orchestra to pay a visit to his mentor and friend´s musical drama. The orchestra is quite superb, and relishes the latino dances as to the manner born. From an orchestral point of view he even surpasses Bernstein´s hand picked DG orchestra.
Which takes us to the always problematic singers. Tilson Thomas went for Broadway singers who sing in tune and well enough not to offend Classical Music aficionados. The Tony, Cheyenne Jackson, has a very light and sweet lyric tenor, certainly pleasant to the ear, and sounds young enough to be a credible teenager, but he sounds much too careful, too self conscious, especially when some passion is expected as in "Tonight". His Maria. Alexandra Silber seems to have the more operatic voice, and I would say she sounds older than he. To me the biggest disappointment is Jessica Vosk as Anita, she sounds younger and more Anglo than Silber, and misses the punch lines in "America", he, he, no contest for Troyanos.
This recording comes in 2 compact discs that combined amount to only some 85 minutes, but sells at a 2 cd full price of some 40 bucks. The presentation is lavish though, with a beautiful libreto with pictures and well written notes.

A chocolate box of nostalgia for those of us born in the 50´s and 60´s.

fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:Image

I can see you singing away to it Pepe!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Recent listening....

ImageImage
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:Image

I can see you singing away to it Pepe!!

Oh I have Fergus, since I was 12 or so!
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

An old one but my favourite for these song cycles by Vaughan Williams and Butterworth.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

Bartok's Violin Concerto No. 1 played by Isaac Stern, the Philadelphia Orchestra and conducted by Eugene Ormandy....

mcq

Post by mcq »

Listening tonight to the Mozart string quintets.  These are absolute masterpieces of form that, to me, rank among the master's greatest achievements.  Subtle, restrained, cerebral yet possessing profound spritual depths that appear limitless.  The lightness of the man's touch was just remarkable, as was the emotional gamut he could evoke.  This is Mozart at his most patient and deiberate.  Nothing is rushed.  There is a sense of hushed inwardness about this music that I find utterly extraordinary.  Breathtaking, just breathtaking music that requires - and rewards - complete immersion by the listener.  A deeply rewarding experience.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
fergus

Post by fergus »

For me, both are challenging but rewarding works.