What are you listening two?

markof

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Via Spotify:

Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Diapason wrote:Via Spotify:

Excellent recording! I got it in 2007 when it came out after a very positive "Gramophone" review, it was their disc of the month.

I went to a lovely performance of the Xmas Oratorio in Munich a few years ago. I remember being especially impressed by the high brass instruments, every note sweet and pure, not the cracked notes we hear all the time in Dublin. It just seemed effortless.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

markof wrote:Image

This morning it's the Biber "Rosary Sonatas" - fantastic recording.
I've been enjoying that too! Even though I have too many recordings of the Rosary Sonatas already!
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Ciaran wrote:I remember being especially impressed by the high brass instruments, every note sweet and pure, not the cracked notes we hear all the time in Dublin. It just seemed effortless.
Funny you should say that, I was thinking only recently how seldom it is we (or more accurately I) get to hear really good brass playing up close and personal. Wonder why that is.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
markof

Post by markof »

I really like this version - the choir are terrific.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
markof

Post by markof »

First listen this morning - really nice.
mcq

Post by mcq »

I spent the day listening to Francois-Frederic Guy's traversal of the Beethoven sonata cycle.  I bought the complete set on its original release in 2013 and have enjoyed it immensely over the course of many, many listening sessions in the intervening years.  It is recorded live and the performances are remarkably consistent throughout exuding a natural sense of exuberance and warmth that is intoxicating and simply a pleasure to listen to.  Guy is a very fine Beethoven interpreter and I strongly recommend his performances of the piano concertos and cello sonatas (his first set, with Anne Gastinel) as well.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
mcq

Post by mcq »

Listening tonight to Rachel Barton Pine's beautiful performances of Bach's immortal Unaccompanied Sonatas and Partitas for Violin.  There is a simplicity and directness to Barton Pine's reading that I find very moving, a musician eager only to communicate her personal responses to this most private of music.  The pace is unhurried, yet never languid; the mood is calm, but not glacial ; it is a reflective and gracefully mature set of performances that I find emotionally complete and deeply satisfying.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
mcq

Post by mcq »

This is glorious.  The Belcea Quartet in dramatically powerful readings of the Brahms string quartets, which must be counted among the best performances available of these masterpieces.  There is also an excellent coupling in the form of the wonderful Piano Quintet with Till Fellner, a former student of Alfred Brendel who has recorded some very fine Bach for ECM but has been very quiet of late.

All in all, this is an supremely rewarding listening experience and is very highly recommended.