What are you listening two?

Seán

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Seán »

Franz Schubert
Symphony no 8

Tonhalle Orchestra Zurich
David Zinman conducting

I listened to the 'Great C' again this evening and I find it lacking when compared to the wonderful Solti, Bohm and Szell performances.
Last edited by Seán on Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

A brief respite from all things Zinman.

Ludwig van Beethoven
Symphony No 4

Orchestra of the 18th Century
Franz Brüggen conducting.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ludwig van Beethoven
Symphony No 6

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Seán wrote:Ludwig van Beethoven
Symphony No 6

The more recent Brüggen Pastoral on Glossa is far preferable to the one in Philips. He rethought the whole thing, and got rid of the hard-to-bear-cross of the metronome markings. He allows himself a good deal of rubato which is quite correct, the Pastoral may be the first composition that actually demands rubato.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:
Symphony No 6

The more recent Brüggen Pastoral on Glossa is far preferable to the one in Philips. He rethought the whole thing, and got rid of the hard-to-bear-cross of the metronome markings. He allows himself a good deal of rubato which is quite correct, the Pastoral may be the first composition that actually demands rubato.

I finally took your advice Pepe and ordered the Glossa set!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:
Symphony No 6

Hmmm, pondering and procrastinating.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Horn Concerto No 1, 2 ,3 & 4

Alessio Allegrini - French Horn
Orchestra Mozart
Claudio Abbado conducting.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Image

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Horn Concerto No 1, 2 ,3 & 4

Alessio Allegrini - French Horn
Orchestra Mozart
Claudio Abbado conducting.

I really like the Mozart Horn Concertos Seán. I never tire of listening to them no matter how often one has heard them.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Bruckner: Symphony No. 7 under von Karajan....

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:
Symphony No 6

Good for you Fergus, it´s a tribute to the art of the late Frans Brüggen, maybe Seán will follow suit?
I know it´s hard to justify yet another Beethoven cycle, but Brüggen 2 is a landmark. He is the first to accept that it´s just not possible to keep obeying the metronome markings, maybe it worked for Hogwood and Norrington 20 years ago for the shock of hearing these works at neck break speed. What has happened after 20 plus years of Beethoven HIP is that one performance pretty much sounds the same as the next. When Beethoven played them for the first time he probably just wanted the musicians to finish together, now that is no longer a problem, and conductors obviously, and rightly, want to leave their personal footprint. I think Brüggen 2 leads the way in what´s next in HIP interpretation, especially in XIX Century music. Gardiner himself, just heard last week, takes more traditional tempi, not Klemperer´s tempi of course, but something that lets musicians breath and feel free in the notes.