What are you listening two?

fergus

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:Image

I have that cycle in a lovely vinyl box set Jared and I only finished listening to it last week. Nielsen's music is really growing on me.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Another cycle that I really liked but have not listened to in a long time....alas, so much music....so little time!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Some Stravinsky this afternoon and (appropriately for Sunday) his Mass....

....and a very modern sounding Mass it is but very interesting to hear.
Jared

Post by Jared »

Symph 1

which, as is the way with this set, morphs into Symph 5... not that I'm complaining (!)
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:

Another cycle that I really liked but have not listened to in a long time....alas, so much music....so little time!
yes, for someone who professes to love Bruckner, there has been precious little airplay given over to his music of late... but this is sublime..
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:I have that cycle in a lovely vinyl box set Jared and I only finished listening to it last week. Nielsen's music is really growing on me.
sorry Fergus... CD box with cardboard sleeves... not quite the same, is it?

as ever with Nielsen and me:

really like 1&2, have to be in the right mood for 3&4, can't really get on with 5 and 6 does nothing for me ...
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Could never enjoy this set before through the old Kharma speakers as it would tear the ears off me. Finally able to sit back and relax to it.

CD1

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Diapason wrote:DaveF, I didn't know of that Saint-Saens disc, but I bought the new Ben van Oosten set after his recent concert in the Hague and you've just reminded me that it's still in the wrapper! How's that set? Correct instrument used anyway. So much music so little time.
Its a terrific recording Simon and well worth getting. I've had it for many years and was probably one of the first organ recordings I bought while not really having clue what I was buying.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Jared

Post by Jared »

there really are some delicious harmonies on this disk; like all of the best Renaissance polyphony, it just gets better which each listen.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »