What are you listening two?

fergus

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by fergus »

Reich: Music for 18 Musicians....

....interesting but repetitious, repetitious, repetitious, repetitious, repetitious...........
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Reich: Music for 18 Musicians....

....interesting but repetitious, repetitious, repetitious, repetitious, repetitious...........
I listened to it a couple of times on YouTube and I was less than impressed by this work. I was hoping I would like it.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: I listened to it a couple of times on YouTube and I was less than impressed by this work. I was hoping I would like it.

Agreed Seán. It is an interesting work which needs severe editing, revision and musical development and then it would be seriously exciting.
fergus

Post by fergus »

A work well within Seán's comfort zone and close to his heart; Schubert's Death and the Maiden String Quartet....

fergus

Post by fergus »

The wonderful Sibelius Symphony No. 2....

Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:The wonderful Sibelius Symphony No. 2....

Well, I am in Edinburgh for a few days this week and far away from my collection so I have to be content with the pleasure of others, enjoy.

Is that a good performance (although, we don't always want the same in performances of these marvellous works). I am curious to learn what you make of it.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:A work well within Seán's comfort zone and close to his heart; Schubert's Death and the Maiden String Quartet....

That is correct Fergus. I LOVE it with a passion.
markof

Post by markof »

I've been on a deep dive into the recordings of Fabio Biondi and Europa Galante in the last couple of weeks and very satisfying it was.
Both he and they display a high standard of musicality; performing with imagination, invention, verve and a passion often missing from many other outfits and putting them firmly in my all time favourite musicians.

This recording was just one of the many outstanding performances which I heard during this trawl and is strongly recommended.

Mark.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:The wonderful Sibelius Symphony No. 2....

Well, I am in Edinburgh for a few days this week and far away from my collection so I have to be content with the pleasure of others, enjoy.

Is that a good performance (although, we don't always want the same in performances of these marvellous works). I am curious to learn what you make of it.

Yes I did enjoy it Sean; it was a strong performance. I am partial to Monteux and I find that he does not often disappoint.

Enjoy Edinburgh!
fergus

Post by fergus »

markof wrote:Image

I've been on a deep dive into the recordings of Fabio Biondi and Europa Galante in the last couple of weeks and very satisfying it was.
Both he and they display a high standard of musicality; performing with imagination, invention, verve and a passion often missing from many other outfits and putting them firmly in my all time favourite musicians.

This recording was just one of the many outstanding performances which I heard during this trawl and is strongly recommended.

Mark.

I would endorse your sentiments regarding Biondi and Europa Galante in general Mark. They are a wonderful ensemble and always seem to bring something new to old works.