What are you listening two?

fergus

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by fergus »

Both excellent performances; warmly recommended.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

I turned on the radio tuner, it is tuned to Lyric, and the first movement of had already started and I listened enchanted, to a dazzling performance of Beethoven's Third, it's still on. When I looked up the perfomers I was not a bit surprised:
This evening’s concert comes from the Grand Hall of the Musikverein, Vienna in a concert of Haydn and Beethoven. (First broadcast Tuesday March 31st)

Beethoven: Symphony No.3 in E flat, Op.55 ‘Eroica’
Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
Herbert Bloomstedt (conductor
Fab-u-lous
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Image

I bought this CD for the Korngold Violin Concerto. I did not know it or have it in my collection and I felt that I should have it. I thoroughly enjoyed both music and performance; the slow movement is ravishing.
The Tchaikovsky is also excellent; an electrifying performance.
Korngold's music is delightfully stimulating. Perhaps I should.......
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Mozart: Divertimento [String Trio] K563 from this set....

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:Mozart: Divertimento [String Trio] K563 from this set....

This is precisely the Trio I sent you a long time ago with the Trio Ricercar. Maybe you remember I told you I met Arthur Grumiaux in a music store in London where he was checking some violins. This was in 1977, I said hello and told him how much I loved his recordings of the Mozart violin concertos, he thanked me and recommended me this Divertimento, and deep seriously said: "This is the greatest piece of chamber music ever written". And it surely is.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote: This is precisely the Trio I sent you a long time ago with the Trio Ricercar. Maybe you remember I told you I met Arthur Grumiaux in a music store in London where he was checking some violins. This was in 1977, I said hello and told him how much I loved his recordings of the Mozart violin concertos, he thanked me and recommended me this Divertimento, and deep seriously said: "This is the greatest piece of chamber music ever written". And it surely is.
Of course I remember the conversations my friend and I remember that you had met and spoken with Grumiaux and what he had said about this piece. I was not very familiar with the Divertimento [String Trio] K563 at that time Pepe but I have listened to it more and I have studied its structure since that time and I now have a greater appreciation of the work. In terms of form Mozart used every tool at his disposal when creating this work. He also wrote some wonderful melodies for K563 and the development of those themes are remarkable and rich. And the fact that he did all of this for just three instruments relying on the horizontal or linear counterpoint from three voices without vertical harmony is quite remarkable and indeed wonderful. I asked you back then to give me time to understand the work and report back to you; it took a bit longer that I thought but I think that I now technically understand most of it Pepe LOL!!
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote: This is precisely the Trio I sent you a long time ago with the Trio Ricercar. Maybe you remember I told you I met Arthur Grumiaux in a music store in London where he was checking some violins. This was in 1977, I said hello and told him how much I loved his recordings of the Mozart violin concertos, he thanked me and recommended me this Divertimento, and deep seriously said: "This is the greatest piece of chamber music ever written". And it surely is.
Of course I remember the conversations my friend and I remember that you had met and spoken with Grumiaux and what he had said about this piece. I was not very familiar with the Divertimento [String Trio] K563 at that time Pepe but I have listened to it more and I have studied its structure since that time and I now have a greater appreciation of the work. In terms of form Mozart used every tool at his disposal when creating this work. He also wrote some wonderful melodies for K563 and the development of those themes are remarkable and rich. And the fact that he did all of this for just three instruments relying on the horizontal or linear counterpoint from three voices without vertical harmony is quite remarkable and indeed wonderful. I asked you back then to give me time to understand the work and report back to you; it took a bit longer that I thought but I think that I now technically understand most of it Pepe LOL!!

Good for you dear Fergus! Most people don´t know this, but this is probably [because of repeats and tempi], Mozart longest orchestral composition, it surely is longer than any of the symphonies and concertos, though the Grand Partita can match it if all the repeats are observed. There are not many recordings because it is not an easy work, but some of the finest musicians the World has known have record it: Heifetz, Primrose and Feuermann recorded it in the 50´s, Stern, Zukerman and Rose in the 60´s, Gidon Kremer, Kim Kashkasian and Yo-Yo Ma in the 80´s. Salvatore Accardo and some friends made a good recording too, and of course the great Arthur Grumiaux. There have been so far only 3 recordings on period instruments, the Ricercar Trio with Francois Fernandez and Ryo Terakado, on SONY Vera Beths and Anner Bylsma, and a Swedish recording on Bis with Drottningholm musicians.
This is surely one of the glories of Music.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jose Echenique wrote:
fergus wrote:

Good for you dear Fergus! Most people don´t know this, but this is probably [because of repeats and tempi], Mozart longest orchestral composition, it surely is longer than any of the symphonies and concertos, though the Grand Partita can match it if all the repeats are observed. There are not many recordings because it is not an easy work, but some of the finest musicians the World has known have record it: Heifetz, Primrose and Feuermann recorded it in the 50´s, Stern, Zukerman and Rose in the 60´s, Gidon Kremer, Kim Kashkasian and Yo-Yo Ma in the 80´s. Salvatore Accardo and some friends made a good recording too, and of course the great Arthur Grumiaux. There have been so far only 3 recordings on period instruments, the Ricercar Trio with Francois Fernandez and Ryo Terakado, on SONY Vera Beths and Anner Bylsma, and a Swedish recording on Bis with Drottningholm musicians.
Wow, what a splendid and timely set of posts, well done gentlemen. As I had intimated earlier I regret not getting recordings of Mozart's Quintets by the Quartetto Italiano and was thinking of getting a second set if I could find out what to get. That's that so.
Seán

Post by Seán »

I have just checked and I have two complete sets of Mozart's Quintets. The first is by the Juilliard Quartet with John Graham on second viola and the second set is by the Orlando Quartet and Nobuko Imai.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
String Quintet KV 515. KV 593

Orlando Quartet with Nobuko Imai viola

This is the set I listen to most often. It is quite unlike anything else he wrote. It is Gorgeous music.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:

Good for you dear Fergus! ....
When our good friend Pepe advises that one should seriously and carefully listen to something that is what one does my friend.