Post by fergus »

Four Symphonies from Johann Stamitz....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by fergus »

Dvorak 9 under conductor Libor Pesek....

This is a very good rendition of this great symphony.

See Bargain thread.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Dug out one of the very few copies of the Gardiner Bach Cantatas that I have. Found it diffcult to warm to any of it in the past and found it pretty much the same this time around too.

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

It was a mighty program: the Goldberg and the Diabelli variations. Even though I expected Schiff to play first the Beethoven, because the Goldberg Variations are longer, he started chronologically. It was a flawless, magisterial performance -as expected from someone who has played Bach for several decades to great acclaim- every variation was breathed with mastery and poise. Unlike Glenn Gould, he was obedient to Baroque principles. You can get the idea pretty much from either of Schiff´s recordings in DECCA and ECM, the wondrous thing is that live he was every bit as good. And he played most of the repeats as in his recordings, so the Goldberg amounted to slightly over 80 minutes.

A 20 minute pause was well deserved. The Diabelli Variations, one of Beethoven´s most striking and untypical keyboard compositions, was met with virtuoso aplomb. It is to András Schiff´s credit that he produced a more robust and macho sound for Beethoven than for Bach, but the elegance and the musicianship were still there. It was a truly wonderful performance.
The concert started at 8 and it was well over 10 when it finished. Of course no one expected an encore, considering the mammoth undertaking, but after standing ovations and thunderous applause, he left us open mouthed when he started playing Beethoven´s Sonata #32 Op.111, and yes, he played the whole thing! If anything, it was even more masterly than the Diabelli, pianism of exquisite perfection.

An unforgettable concert.
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ thanks for the write-up Pepe, sounds like a truly wonderful occasion!
Seán

Post by Seán »

Thanks for the review pepe.I am delighted that you enjoyed the concert.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Disc 1 from this superb 5 disc boxset.

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Peter

Post by Peter »

From the newly re-issued 10 cd set.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Musik-St%C3%A4d ... en+stadten

Diapason

Post by Diapason »

That Marin Marais looks like something I should consider buying.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:Image

That sounds like a wonderful experience Pepe!