What are you listening two?

Peter

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Peter »

fergus wrote:
Peter wrote: Image

Interesting. I have M2/Klemperer+Philharmonia Orchestra/Schwarzkopf and I wonder how they would compare?
Hmm, good question. I haven't heard the Schwarzkopf version although I know that I probably prefer Ferrier's voice over Schwarzkopf in Mahler. I know that people complain about her German accent, but I care more about the tone and spectrum of her voice. I guess voices are quite subjective when it comes down to which singers we enjoy in our listening....... :-)

Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Peter wrote:
fergus wrote:A wonderful M8 from Sinopoli....
How is Sinopoli's cycle overall?

I have to confess that I do not know Peter as I only have M2 and M8 under Sinopoli; both (for me) being powerful performances with great vocals.
I have his M7 and it is very fine indeed.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

Peter wrote:I often search out Fauré's nocturnes when I am searching for some low key serenity. Apart from his requiem I have not listened to much else of Fauré's compositions. I noticed that Brilliant is putting forward some more composer sets and one of them is Fauré!!! Are you familiar with his works beyond the piano set you just listened to?

Beside a few versions of Fauré's Violin Sonata I also have this 5 CD set Peter....

I am very partial to Chamber Music in general; I love the intimacy and intensity of it. I do dip into that Fauré set every so often as I like his musical sound world.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Simon: I played CD 2 of Vol. 11 this morning as it contains the relevant Cantatas for today (the 21st Sunday after Trinity)....

It contains gentle, beautiful music of a high quality with some lovely obligato oboe work in the first two contemplative Cantatas. However the mood does pick up and I would recommend the wonderful organ work contained in the Sinfonia in BWV 98 which should warm your cockles!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Peter wrote:
fergus wrote:A wonderful M8 from Sinopoli....
How is Sinopoli's cycle overall?

Ciaran I think has the full Mahler Sinopoli cycle but I may be mistaken in my memory of that??
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

DaveF, I didn't know of that Saint-Saens disc, but I bought the new Ben van Oosten set after his recent concert in the Hague and you've just reminded me that it's still in the wrapper! How's that set? Correct instrument used anyway. So much music so little time.

Speaking of which, I doubt I'll get to those today Fergus as we've people coming over, but I think I should implement a plan to listen to the right cantatas for each Sunday soon. It would be a fascinating way of traversing the music. Incidentally, one of the few frustrations with the box set is that all the CDs now have different numbers so the original volume numbers don't apply. Makes it a bit more awkward to cross reference!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Jared

Post by Jared »

and now for something completely different... Symphs 3&4
Jared

Post by Jared »

Symph 1
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote: Speaking of which, I doubt I'll get to those today Fergus as we've people coming over, but I think I should implement a plan to listen to the right cantatas for each Sunday soon. It would be a fascinating way of traversing the music.
PM me your email address Simon and I will forward you a small Excel spreadsheet with it all laid out for you if you are interested.

Incidentally, one of the few frustrations with the box set is that all the CDs now have different numbers so the original volume numbers don't apply. Makes it a bit more awkward to cross reference!

That seems a bit odd all right. One would imagine that they would have maintained the integrity of that data.