What are you listening two?

Seán

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Seán »

Currently enjoying:
9.30am Building a Library

Richard Wigmore compares recordings of Schumann’s second symphony and makes a recommendation.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
While some may shy away from Beethoven's First and Second Symphonies, I don't, I love them both. His First is an extraordinary work when one considers what, in musical terms, preceded it.

I would at one time have glossed over Beethoven 1 & 2 but not so much anymore. I agree with you Seán in terms of what Beethoven’s No. 1 is in terms of what preceded it, but not to the same extent as I once did. One of my own personal projects some years ago was to compare the early Beethoven symphonies with the late Mozart ones and I came to the conclusion that, leaving form aside and focusing on content and to some extent musical language, there is not that significant a gulf between the two, particularly Mozart’s last symphony. One of the significant factors, for me, in the early Beethoven symphonies is the interpretation; whether they are performed as late Classical or early Romantic – the latter works best methinks.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

Seán wrote:Currently enjoying:

Richard Wigmore compares recordings of Schumann’s second symphony and makes a recommendation.
SPOLIER ALERT

After telling us that he wouldn't be without the Harnoncourt recording and giving special mention to Abbado with Orchestra Mozart and Sawallisch too of course, he choose the Gardiner ORR performance (by a whisker):
Last edited by Seán on Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

That is interesting Seán. I know that it is only Schumann 2 that they are looking at but one of the projects that I have lined up for myself over the next few months is a survey of my Schumann symphonic cycles. I may listen in to that programme later; perhaps I might get some pointers.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:

That is interesting Seán. I know that it is only Schumann 2 that they are looking at but one of the projects that I have lined up for myself over the next few months is a survey of my Schumann symphonic cycles. I may listen in to that programme later; perhaps I might get some pointers.
The second is my least favourite symphony. I rarely listen to them.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Starting this morning with some Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 21....

....performed by Walter Klien with Mainz Chamber Orchestra/Gunter Kehr.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:
While some may shy away from Beethoven's First and Second Symphonies, I don't, I love them both. His First is an extraordinary work when one considers what, in musical terms, preceded it.

I would at one time have glossed over Beethoven 1 & 2 but not so much anymore. I agree with you Seán in terms of what Beethoven’s No. 1 is in terms of what preceded it, but not to the same extent as I once did. One of my own personal projects some years ago was to compare the early Beethoven symphonies with the late Mozart ones and I came to the conclusion that, leaving form aside and focusing on content and to some extent musical language, there is not that significant a gulf between the two, particularly Mozart’s last symphony. One of the significant factors, for me, in the early Beethoven symphonies is the interpretation; whether they are performed as late Classical or early Romantic – the latter works best methinks.
I wondered as I wrote that if I was doing a disservice to Mozart considering the wonderful lyrical and expansive of his Jupiter Symphony.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
The [Schumann] second is my least favourite symphony. I rarely listen to them.
I don't listen very often myself hence the need to revisit them. I do like them but they do require a bit of work on the listener's behalf.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
I wondered as I wrote that if I was doing a disservice to Mozart considering the wonderful lyrical and expansive of his Jupiter Symphony.
Perhaps not an intentional disservice Seán as I know how much you appreciate his works. However one does not always fully appreciate how far he had come at the time of his death. He was one of those giants upon whose shoulders others have definitely stood! If he had lived one can but wonder what he would have produced.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Starting this morning with some Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 21....

....performed by Walter Klien with Mainz Chamber Orchestra/Gunter Kehr.
We are on Bach at present on Radio 3 and it is sublime.

I know that you have a difficulty with some piano music but as you are inclined to listen to Mozart's Piano concerto have you considered getting any Clara Haskil performances? They are old and not in high fidelity but what they lack in sound quality is more than compensated for in tone, warmth, lyrical expression and the sheer beauty of her performances.