What are you listening two?

Seán

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:
The [Schumann] second is my least favourite symphony. I rarely listen to them.
I don't listen very often myself hence the need to revisit them. I do like them but they do require a bit of work on the listener's behalf.
And is seldom rewarded too. I honestly think that Mahler improved them, heresy I know, but there you go.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
I know that you have a difficulty with some piano music but as you are inclined to listen to Mozart's Piano concerto have you considered getting any Clara Haskil performances? They are old and not in high fidelity but what they lack in sound quality is more than compensated for in tone, warmth, lyrical expression and the sheer beauty of her performances.
Oh I really like Mozart's Piano Concertos Seán. I have one of them performed by Haskil and I have heard others. I do agree with you in terms of her performances and interpretations and the lack of pristine sound quality when it is fully compensated for by the other two quatities has never bothered me. But to be very honest I simply find it difficult to get past Perahia in these works from the very first moment that I bought the set; he simply says everything to me in these concertos.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

More Mozart, this time the Sinfonia Concertante & Violin Concerto No. 2....

....Josef Suk is both the solo violinist and conductor of the Prague Chamber Orchestra.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:More Mozart, this time the Sinfonia Concertante & Violin Concerto No. 2....

....Josef Suk is both the solo violinist and conductor of the Prague Chamber Orchestra.
Another one for the ever growing with list.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

I really am delighted that I had the wisdom to acquire the Zinman Symphony box set.

Franz Schubert
Symphony No. 3 & 4

Tonhalle Zurich Orchestra
David Zinman conducting.

I had this cd on repeat play this afternoon. The performance of the Third is rather special.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Lithurgically, Christmas starts today as it is the first day of Advent. So I am officially opening my Christmas Season musically with two of the three requiste JS Bach cantatas for the day that is in it, BWV 61 & BWV 62 under the directorship of Harnoncourt from Vol. 16 of the pioneering cycle that both he and Leonhardt produced way back when....

markof

Post by markof »

fergus wrote:Lithurgically, Christmas starts today as it is the first day of Advent. So I am officially opening my Christmas Season musically with two of the three requiste JS Bach cantatas for the day that is in it, BWV 61 & BWV 62 under the directorship of Harnoncourt from Vol. 16 of the pioneering cycle that both he and Leonhardt produced way back when....

Hi Fergus,
I love the Bach cantatas too - have much of the Suzuki set.
Would you know where I can find a listing of cantatas appropriate for calendar/feast days?

Mark.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Lithurgically, Christmas starts today as it is the first day of Advent. So I am officially opening my Christmas Season musically with two of the three requiste JS Bach cantatas for the day that is in it, BWV 61 & BWV 62 under the directorship of Harnoncourt from Vol. 16 of the pioneering cycle that both he and Leonhardt produced way back when....

BWV62 is one of Bach's great gifts to humanity, it is a beautiful work.
Seán

Post by Seán »

markof wrote:

Hi Fergus,
Would you know where I can find a listing of cantatas appropriate for calendar/feast days?

Mark.
Here is a link Mark, Fergus might have more information: http://www.bach-cantatas.com/LCY/Lutheran-2011-2015.htm
fergus

Post by fergus »

markof wrote:
Hi Fergus,

Mark.

Hi Mark,

PM sent.