What are you listening two?

fergus

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: Thanks for the response Fergus. I was wondering why you picked Handley and the Ulster Orchestra and now your response makes sense, I hadn't made the mental connection with Handley's interpretation of Bax, good on you, enjoy.

Cheers Seán. There was a twisted logic in there somewhere!! It was a very good listen.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

I always like to hear a composer’s first symphony to see where they were at that point artistically, in terms of how well crafted the work is crafted and how good and exciting the orchestration is (for sonic texture). This Symphony No. 1 is really very good in all of these categories and is a really good listen.
mcq

Post by mcq »

This evening I've been listening to two recent purchases, two recordings of Mozart's final three symphonies, as conducted by Frans Brüggen and Nikolaus Harnoncourt.  Quite simply, these are extraordinary performances.  Inner details are exposed and fleshed out.  The smallest of details are lingered over and carefully nurtured.  Harnoncourt's versions are more visceral and dramatically intense, Brüggen's are more refined and delicately shaded; both are exceptionally rewarding gazes at these greatest of symphonic masterpieces.  Everything time I hear this music it feels like a slap in the face, or a twist in the guts, so intensely moved as I am by the physicality of the emotional experience.  Quite simply, you can never hear enough of this music.  

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
fergus

Post by fergus »

mcq wrote:This evening I've been listening to two recent purchases, two recordings of Mozart's final three symphonies, as conducted by Frans Brüggen and Nikolaus Harnoncourt.  Quite simply, these are extraordinary performances.  Inner details are exposed and fleshed out.  The smallest of details are lingered over and carefully nurtured.  Harnoncourt's versions are more visceral and dramatically intense, Brüggen's are more refined and delicately shaded; both are exceptionally rewarding gazes at these greatest of symphonic masterpieces.  Everything time I hear this music it feels like a slap in the face, or a twist in the guts, so intensely moved as I am by the physicality of the emotional experience.  Quite simply, you can never hear enough of this music.  

That is certainly true! Enjoy the new purchases.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Oh lads please do not mention Mozart, I am struggling to detach myself from his symphonies and listen to other music instead, suffice it to say that his latter symphonic output is devine.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

mcq wrote:This evening I've been listening to two recent purchases, two recordings of Mozart's final three symphonies, as conducted by Frans Brüggen and Nikolaus Harnoncourt.  Quite simply, these are extraordinary performances.  Inner details are exposed and fleshed out.  The smallest of details are lingered over and carefully nurtured.  Harnoncourt's versions are more visceral and dramatically intense, Brüggen's are more refined and delicately shaded; both are exceptionally rewarding gazes at these greatest of symphonic masterpieces.  Everything time I hear this music it feels like a slap in the face, or a twist in the guts, so intensely moved as I am by the physicality of the emotional experience.  Quite simply, you can never hear enough of this music.  

Totally agree about the Brüggen, the Harnoncourt should arrive before the weekend and I can hardly wait.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

And after watching in the news all the sickening atrocities in Gaza, the Ukraine, Syria, the advancing of the Ebola, etc., I revisited this unique recording of the music Joseph Martin Kraus composed for the funeral of King Gustavus III of Sweden (yes, the same of Un Ballo in Maschera). Kraus was Mozart almost exact contemporary, he was born the same year 1756, also in Austria, and died only 1 year after him, in 1792.
This amazing music includes an imposing funeral symphony and a cantata, truly wonderful stuff admirably performed.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

fergus wrote:
Adrian wrote:Image

Handel Messiah... very enjoyable indeed.

Glad that you enjoyed it Adrian....were you singing along to it?
Humming away as I was on a stroll at the time, I like to listen to a bit of classical during luncheon, tends to take your mind off the crap which has been going on all morning!! Nothing like a bit of culture .... eh??
Let the Good Times Roll...................
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:Image

And after watching in the news all the sickening atrocities in Gaza, the Ukraine, Syria, the advancing of the Ebola, etc., I revisited this unique recording of the music Joseph Martin Kraus composed for the funeral of King Gustavus III of Sweden (yes, the same of Un Ballo in Maschera). Kraus was Mozart almost exact contemporary, he was born the same year 1756, also in Austria, and died only 1 year after him, in 1792.
This amazing music includes an imposing funeral symphony and a cantata, truly wonderful stuff admirably performed.

Kraus wrote some wonderful music; quite like Mozart but with a voice of his own. Well worth checking out, I agree Pepe.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Adrian wrote: Humming away as I was on a stroll at the time, I like to listen to a bit of classical during luncheon, tends to take your mind off the crap which has been going on all morning!! Nothing like a bit of culture .... eh??

Enjoying the good things in life Adrian....music, food and a drop of grape juice when you get home!