What are you listening two?

Jose Echenique

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:Image

And after watching in the news all the sickening atrocities in Gaza, the Ukraine, Syria, the advancing of the Ebola, etc., I revisited this unique recording of the music Joseph Martin Kraus composed for the funeral of King Gustavus III of Sweden (yes, the same of Un Ballo in Maschera). Kraus was Mozart almost exact contemporary, he was born the same year 1756, also in Austria, and died only 1 year after him, in 1792.
This amazing music includes an imposing funeral symphony and a cantata, truly wonderful stuff admirably performed.

Kraus wrote some wonderful music; quite like Mozart but with a voice of his own. Well worth checking out, I agree Pepe.
You DO have this recording Fergus, remember it?
cybot

Post by cybot »

Decided to tentatively (re)dip my toe in the vastness that's Classical music. I've tried before but to no avail. It just wasn't doing it for me as it used to. So out came the vinyl copy you see below and I simply had to forgo whatever I was doing to listen totally transfixed to these stunning works. The sleeve says digital but on my analogue setup (first time on the new Analogue Works 1 tt) it sounded anything but....I'm half afraid to add anything more in case I get drowned again lol!
My aim is to simply revel in the music and not worry about the finer details of what's it all about - not that these works are easy enough to decipher :) That'll hopefully come much later....

Last edited by cybot on Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cybot

Post by cybot »

This is from the RCA Red Seal 0.5 series. Again sounding wonderful sonically and musically. Apparently the 0.5 moniker refers to the half speed mastering employed.

fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:
You DO have this recording Fergus, remember it?

Yes indeed I do remember it Pepe and a really lovely work it is too. It is the only work of his that I have which is not of his symphonic output. For those who like Mozart, Kraus' symphonies are well worth investigating; not as high a calibre as those of Wolfgang's but then that would indeed be difficult!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote:Decided to tentatively (re)dip my toe in the vastness that's Classical music. I've tried before but to no avail. It just wasn't doing it for me as it used to. So out came the vinyl copy you see below and I simply had to forgo whatever I was doing to listen totally transfixed to these stunning works. The sleeve says digital but on my analogue setup (first time on the new Analogue Works 1 tt) it sounded anything but....I'm half afraid to add anything more in case I get drowned again lol!
My aim is to simply revel in the music and not worry about the finer details of what's it all about - not that these works are easy enough to decipher :) That'll hopefully come much later....

Lord, there's all sorts of fellas turning up here lately!! You are very welcome to the Classical Corner Dermot! Nice to see you here; it is not often that we have the pleasure of your illustrious company in these foreign parts.
I am delighted to read that the new TT is doing the business on the classical side of things as well for you; all of that sonic range and detail is being dragged out of those grooves I expect. Nice choice of works to give the TT a run out.

In terms of the genre itself, do as we over here do and that is do not take it too seriously but simply enjoy it. However, should you have any questions or require any help please ask and someone will be able to help you. Lord knows we are getting a bit thin on the ground but there are still one or two of us die hards left!

Enjoy the music.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Double vinyl set of Brahms' Trios....

....I have always liked the Horn Trio.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Getting back into piano music is proving very satisfying.

Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:
cybot wrote:Decided to tentatively (re)dip my toe in the vastness that's Classical music. I've tried before but to no avail. It just wasn't doing it for me as it used to. So out came the vinyl copy you see below and I simply had to forgo whatever I was doing to listen totally transfixed to these stunning works. The sleeve says digital but on my analogue setup (first time on the new Analogue Works 1 tt) it sounded anything but....I'm half afraid to add anything more in case I get drowned again lol!

Lord, there's all sorts of fellas turning up here lately!! You are very welcome to the Classical Corner Dermot! Nice to see you here; it is not often that we have the pleasure of your illustrious company in these foreign parts.
I am delighted to read that the new TT is doing the business on the classical side of things as well for you; all of that sonic range and detail is being dragged out of those grooves I expect. Nice choice of works to give the TT a run out.

In terms of the genre itself, do as we over here do and that is do not take it too seriously but simply enjoy it. However, should you have any questions or require any help please ask and someone will be able to help you. Lord knows we are getting a bit thin on the ground but there are still one or two of us die hards left!

Enjoy the music.
Ah thanks Fergus! Anyway the way things are going at the moment this Classical music is starting to appeal to me a hell of a lot more. I'm really, really thrilled that the muse has finally returned. There are some beauties on the shelves and I can't wait to give them the attention they deserve. Sometimes with my wide ranging tastes it's hard to like everything :)
cybot

Post by cybot »

Diapason wrote:Getting back into piano music is proving very satisfying.

Solo piano has ALWAYS been my holy grail but not in the classical idiom. I have a mental block when it comes to improvisation vs technical ability. Totally different feel altogether. I remember going to a piano recital one time and whilst the pianist was technically flawless, she bored me to tears. Thankfully it didn't turn me completely off all piano music :) There are some works that, for some strange reason, I do like and listen to. People like Satie, Debussy and Chopin come to mind....Maybe I just need to step back and just listen :)

Anyway glad it's making sense to you. Enjoy!
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I'm on a Debussy kick too, at the moment, it's really marvelous music. Although I'll have to admit I also find myself unnaturally impressed by heroic technical fireworks. I shouldn't, but......
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2