What are you listening two?

cybot

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by cybot »

I just knew there was something amiss. Welcome back and, hopefully the accursed tinnitus will continue to ease off. I too suffer with the same affliction but it has never impeded my enjoyment of the music thank God. It tends to thrive in very quiet environments but, to tell the truth, I've learned to ignore it.....
mcq

Post by mcq »

Listening this evening to a recent purchase, Baiba Skride performing the two Szymanowski violin concertos and the chamber masterpiece, Mythes.  The spirits of Debussy and Richard Strauss haunt this deliciously sensual and deeply lyrical music, performed with open-hearted  warmth by Skride.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
mcq

Post by mcq »

Continuing this evening's listening with Xenia Löffler performing oboe concertos by the brothers Graun.  Wonderful music, ably played with panache by Löffler and given sterling support by the Batzdorfer Hofkapelle.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
mcq

Post by mcq »

A beautiful disc of a selection of Telemann's Luther Cantatas.

Seán

Post by Seán »

cybot wrote:I just knew there was something amiss. Welcome back and, hopefully the accursed tinnitus will continue to ease off. I too suffer with the same affliction but it has never impeded my enjoyment of the music thank God. It tends to thrive in very quiet environments but, to tell the truth, I've learned to ignore it.....
Thanks for your good wishes Dermot. The tinnitus has calmed down considerably, so much so that yesterday I listened to Schubert's first six symphonies and Rossini's, L'Italiana in Algeri, all under the direction of the incomparable Maestro Abbado, so I am 'on the mend' as they say.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: Thanks for your good wishes Dermot. The tinnitus has calmed down considerably, so much so that yesterday I listened to Schubert's first six symphonies and Rossini's, L'Italiana in Algeri, all under the direction of the incomparable Maestro Abbado, so I am 'on the mend' as they say.

I am delighted to read of your improvement Seán; good news!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Some Haydn for Sunday listening....

fergus

Post by fergus »

Telemann: Paris Quartets performed by Frans Bruggen, Jaap Schroder, Anner Bylsma and Gustav Leonhardt....

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:Telemann: Paris Quartets performed by Frans Bruggen, Jaap Schroder, Anner Bylsma and Gustav Leonhardt....

The good old days! Leonhardt rerecorded the cycle with the Kuijken brothers for SONY in the 90´s, that perhaps is still the best version to date.
mcq

Post by mcq »

Rounding off the day's listening with Philip Higham's exceptional recording of Britten's suites for solo cello.  The more I hear this wonderful music, the more astonished I am by Britten's achievement.  These are deeply spiritual works that I find emotionally overwhelming to listen to.  It takes courage to compose a series of works that pay homage to Bach's great masterpieces but it takes a special kind of genius to realise your creative vision in a way that not only pays homage to your inspiration but can stand beside them as works of the highest artistry.  It is the sheer emotional depth of these works that both transfixes me and resonates with me, especially in a performance as vividly realised as Higham's.