Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Re: What are you listening two?

Post by fergus »

A recent purchase recommended here....

There are three works on this CD;
Brahms - Alto Rhapsody,
Wagner - Wesendonck Lieder,
Mahler - Der Abschied from Das Lied von der Erde.

I bought it for the Alto Rhapsody and the fact that it had the Wesendonck Lieder on it was a bonus for me. Both works were very fine performances, particularly the Wesendonck Lieder. I enjoyed them immensely. The Mahler was not so successful for me. There was nothing wrong with the voice, which is lovely, or the performance. The issue was with the presentation; it was a chamber ensemble version arranged by Schoenberg. For me personally it simply lacked body and weight for Mahler. However, that is a subjective thing and others may love it; one could certainly dedicate a thread to that discussion! Anyway, the CD comes recommedded from me also.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
mcq

Post by mcq »

So happy you enjoyed it, Fergus.  I do like Schoenberg's pared-down chamber orchestrations of Mahler.  With regard to Das Lied von der Erde, Rainer Riehn (who completed the orchestration after Schoenberg's death) once likened the reduction in scale to a painting rendered as a woodcut which strikes me as remarkably apposite.  A few years ago, Sara Mingardo recorded a very powerful album of Mahler in these chamber orchestrations by Schoenberg and Riehn.  This is repertoire with which she is not normally associated but the results are uniquely special.  Kindertotenleder and Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen are some of the most moving, most heartbreaking works in the canon and Mingardo engages totally with the music.  The sense of overwhelming grief and loss is vivid and palpable.  An intoxicatingly beautiful and intense listening experience that lingers in the mind.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
mcq

Post by mcq »

Listening to a recording of Manfredini's 12 church sonatas that comprise his Opus 2.  This is beautiful music that reminds me strongly of Corelli in its sense of intimacy and conviviality and humility.  There is very little Vivaldian flamboyance in this music.  Performed with sincerity by the very fine Swiss ensemble, Capricornus Consort of Basel, who also impressed me greatly in their recordings of cantatas by Graupner with the soprano, Miriam Feuersinger.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
fergus

Post by fergus »

mcq wrote:So happy you enjoyed it, Fergus.  I do like Schoenberg's pared-down chamber orchestrations of Mahler.  With regard to Das Lied von der Erde, Rainer Riehn (who completed the orchestration after Schoenberg's death) once likened the reduction in scale to a painting rendered as a woodcut which strikes me as remarkably apposite.  A few years ago, Sara Mingardo recorded a very powerful album of Mahler in these chamber orchestrations by Schoenberg and Riehn.  This is repertoire with which she is not normally associated but the results are uniquely special.  Kindertotenleder and Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen are some of the most moving, most heartbreaking works in the canon and Mingardo engages totally with the music.  The sense of overwhelming grief and loss is vivid and palpable.  An intoxicatingly beautiful and intense listening experience that lingers in the mind.

Now I may just be tempted by that one....
fergus

Post by fergus »

Berlioz: Requiem under Previn....

Beautiful. Magnificent.
mcq

Post by mcq »

Listening this afternoon to a new recording of Zelenka's masterly settings of the Old Testament Lamentations.  Robert King's recordings of these works for Hyperion have been a perennial favourie of mine for quite some time and it is a delight and joy to welcome these beautiful new performances.  There is a remarkable feeling of tender devotion in these vocal performances which, allied to a beautifully measured lightness of touch in the instrumental timbres, produce something very special.  An uncommonly moving listening experience and, undoubtedly, one of the finest CDs released this year.  Very highly recommended.

fergus

Post by fergus »

Some beautiful chamber music with trios from Dvorak and Haydn....

fergus

Post by fergus »

Some really wonderful music for violin and piano from Szymanowski....

fergus

Post by fergus »

More Berlioz, this time his Te Deum, under Colin Davis....

....and once again beautiful, magnificent!