Blue Ray Player recommendations

JFK

Blue Ray Player recommendations

Post by JFK »

Hi Guys , Looking to buy one of these , Nothing to expensive , there was a Sony recommended on the Cloney Forum but i cannot remember the Model etc .. Any ideas ? I assume it will play DVDs abd CDs etc ..Tks
DaveF

Re: Blue Ray Player recommendations

Post by DaveF »

I think it was a Sony BDP360 is something close to that. If you are looking for a player for mainly Blu-Ray use, then pretty much any player will do as all u are doing it reading the digital bits from the disc and transmitting them over HDMI. As has been said before, HDMI will only work when ALL bits are able to be transmitted. Picture quality in this case is really influenced by your TV.

If DVD upscaling, CD playback or 7.1 analogue audio out is important you might wanna look at the bigger names as it's in these areas where the cheaper players are weakest. Some exceptions though Id say.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
JFK

Post by JFK »

Thanks Dave - What way do i connect to my Onkyo 606 amp ? will HDMI transmit 5.1/7.1 sound as well as picture or will i need a coaxial anyway to play Std DVDs ?

John
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

yes, HDMI will transmit both the audio and video whether you are playing a Blu-Ray or DVD.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

JFK wrote:Thanks Dave - What way do i connect to my Onkyo 606 amp ?
I have the same amp Jfk so I can tell you the HDMI connections are not all that straightforward. Connecting them is easy but then they might not work... then they might.... then they might not. Eventually it will all settle in and work fine but the 606 is not the most intuitive of amps so be prepared for head scratching. If your TV is a few years old let the amp do the upscaling.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Ivor wrote:the 606 is not the most intuitive of amps so be prepared for head scratching.
I had the 606 on trial for week or so. I seem to remember having a lot of trouble at the start trying to get it send pic only to the tv and stripping out the audio for the amp itself or something like that anyway. The manual wasnt much help either and the OSD menu not much better.
JFK

Post by JFK »

Thanks Ivor .. Head scratching im used to with this whole Home cinema lark .. Cheers ..JFK
JFK

Post by JFK »

Guys , Bought the Sony BD360 + 3 free Blue ray discs .. Picture Quality and sound are amazing . Normal DVDs are quite good also , CDs are fine for the occasional listen ..All in all a bargain for 149 euros .. Thanks
tony

Post by tony »

Hi John, Didnt get a chance to reply to this but I got the same one at xmas. Similar deal. Very hard to go wrong at that price and agree the quality is excellent. It got 5* reviews in the british press whatever that is worth. When i think about paying £500 for a panasonic vhs unit in 1988 how things have moved on.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
fergus

Post by fergus »

JFK wrote:Guys , Bought the Sony BD360 + 3 free Blue ray discs .. Picture Quality and sound are amazing . Normal DVDs are quite good also , CDs are fine for the occasional listen ..All in all a bargain for 149 euros .. Thanks
I know someone who may be interested in that Sony....where did you get that deal JFK?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra