JLP wdm-ks player

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sbgk

Re: JULF Player

Post by sbgk »

Clive wrote:I must admit I've not been playing enough attention recently. What's the strategy now? Is MQN on the backburner due to the Squeezelite software using KS and therefore having the potential to sound better?
started out with trying to understand ks (the only open source implementation was squeezelite/portaudio), then when it sounded ok after a few tweaks decided to see how good it could get. Suspect the best sound will still be from ks ond MQn, but the usefulness of having the lms interface maybe outweighs sound considerations. I find the sq more enjoyable with ks than wasapi.

squeezelite/pa out of the box sounded pretty poor so it is already a minor miracle that it is being compared to MQn at all.
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

I know that you'll get it better, but if you even stop right here at JULF 13/14, I would not be disappointed at all.
It sounds pretty good!
Edit,
First of all I am kind of "MQn-handicapped", I have never tasted anything above V 2.71, so I can't comment on versions higher that 2.71.
It could be that MQn is more detailed in overall, but I have never had bass as controlled as by JP 13/14.
Last edited by cvrle59 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
mjock3

Post by mjock3 »

I have to agree with Nige the MQN 2.7x series had a magic about it. The amount of micro detailing was superb.
On the other hand I am amazed at the progress made in such a short time with the JP. I think there is a clarity in the JP (sorry I just can't say it), that may not have been in the MQN. I listened to good old Oscar Peterson yesterday. "You look good to me" on MQN I can hear such fine detail that I swear the bow on the bass is bouncing while it is playing early in the song. With JP it just is not as detailed.

I do very much appreciate the work you are doing Gordon.

Mark
Julf

Post by Julf »

mjock3 wrote:On the other hand I am amazed at the progress made in such a short time with the JP. I think there is a clarity in the JP (sorry I just can't say it), that may not have been in the MQN.
And how does it compare to the standard, unmodified squeezeplayer?
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Julf wrote:
mjock3 wrote:On the other hand I am amazed at the progress made in such a short time with the JP. I think there is a clarity in the JP (sorry I just can't say it), that may not have been in the MQN.
And how does it compare to the standard, unmodified squeezeplayer?

Unmodified squeezeplayer is nearly unlistenable, with a harsh and shrill sound.
I would never consider it all.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded v16 of JULF Player dll and exe, a bit more meat on the bones, if mmcss is disabled the system timer is set to 2ms (as per aleg suggestion - sounds better than 1ms), the updating of settings is disabled - if you need to change them then probably need to change back to a pre v16 version of squeezelite, but it's important for the sq.

Maybe it should be called JULP - jumped up little player.

can't remember bass like this from MQn wasapi, ks roolz.
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

Got the name...I like small "u" between. LP could mean something else too..:)
Last edited by cvrle59 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
John Dot

Post by John Dot »

sbgk wrote: Maybe it should be called JULP - jumped up little player.
JULF makes me sick so any other name is better. Going to try new v16!
PC: CPU Q8400, 8GB Ram, Windows 8.1 x64
DAC: HRT Music Streamer II+, Asus Xonar Essence ST (+ HiEnd DYI upgrades)
John Dot

Post by John Dot »

hmmm I can't choose any device (default) there is only silence.
PC: CPU Q8400, 8GB Ram, Windows 8.1 x64
DAC: HRT Music Streamer II+, Asus Xonar Essence ST (+ HiEnd DYI upgrades)
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:uploaded v16 of JULF Player dll and exe, a bit more meat on the bones, if mmcss is disabled the system timer is set to 2ms (as per aleg suggestion - sounds better than 1ms), the updating of settings is disabled - if you need to change them then probably need to change back to a pre v16 version of squeezelite, but it's important for the sq.

Maybe it should be called JULP - jumped up little player.

can't remember bass like this from MQn wasapi, ks roolz.

i'm not seeing v16 of the exe.

What should be used with v16 of the dll?

cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.