JLP wdm-ks player

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Crom

Re: JLP wdm-ks player

Post by Crom »

No service here either. I tried v29 with the same version (ie most current) of the dll as I wanted to check if I was dong anything stupid on the install. Thanks to Aleg for pointing me to v29 as a good version to try and also to 2ca for excellent install guide. Worked perfectly and ill do some comparative listening Tmw. I tried adding the arguments that you suggested but still no sound on v31. Ill turn logging on Tmw too and see what it says
2channelaudio

Post by 2channelaudio »

Aleg wrote:
2channelaudio wrote:
Hi Crom,

Are you running squeeze-win as a service? What does your bat file look like?
Try setting your bat file or local player settings to -b 1000:2000000, depending on whether your running squeeze as a service or not.

JLP wouldn't play music when I had it set to 300:2000000, worked fine on the above settings

2CA

Tried it with -b 1000:2000000, but it doesn't give any sound. Waited for over a minute.
I am not running either program as a service but start them from a .bat, but that should be of no consequence however.

Cheers

Aleg
Aleg,

Music should play pretty quickly.
You should hear something a few secs after playback is started
Assuming everything is working. ;)

What's your output device, is is via USB?
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

2channelaudio wrote:
Aleg wrote:
2channelaudio wrote:
Hi Crom,

Are you running squeeze-win as a service? What does your bat file look like?
Try setting your bat file or local player settings to -b 1000:2000000, depending on whether your running squeeze as a service or not.

JLP wouldn't play music when I had it set to 300:2000000, worked fine on the above settings

2CA

Tried it with -b 1000:2000000, but it doesn't give any sound. Waited for over a minute.
I am not running either program as a service but start them from a .bat, but that should be of no consequence however.

Cheers

Aleg
Aleg,

Music should play pretty quickly.
You should hear something a few secs after playback is started
Assuming everything is working. ;)

What's your output device, is is via USB?
2CA

Yes, in my office system I use for DAC, an RME Fireface UCX with USB input and use the KS driver. The RME mixer shows no incoming signal on the port, while with v29 all runs just like that. I killed the running squeezelite-win, only replaced v29 exe for v31 exe and restarted squeezlite-win.exe again with the normal parameters. V29 will give sound, but v31 none at all. The v31 has some bug imo.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
Clive101

Post by Clive101 »

Hi

I am getting amazing sound with this software via my USB DAC - far better IMHO than any other software on an untweaked Windows 8.1.

It is the first time that I feel I have achieved analogue like sound, just can't hear the slight grittiness of most audio players.

I think this software surpasses MQN by a fair margin which is no easy thing.

Please keep up the development - I think it has something very special
Thanks

Clive
erin

Post by erin »

Clive, May I ask what CPU are you using and how much RAM?

I'm curious, because I am trying to find out why some people are reporting better sound with JLP, and others reporting better sound with MQN.
May I also ask if you are a person that prefers a forward treble sound? - (or please describe the sort of sound you like and why you think JLP sounds better)

None of this is a loaded question, I'm honestly just curious, I am not disputing your findings one bit.

Personally, I much prefer MQN. FWIW I use a non oversampling TDA1541A tube output DAC.
however I also sometimes use a CS8417 delta sigma DAC. On both DACs MQN sounds better to me than JLP.

I like MQN better because on my PC which is a dual core celeron runing win8.1 with 4GB RAM, I get more microdetail, more depth, more dynamics and more analog sound with MQN. JLP is sounding flat, bright, and for want of another word - digital.
There is only so much cake in the world!
When the greedy people want to have more than their fair share, then there is less cake for everyone else.
Buy locally.
Build locally.
Grow locally.
Share locally.
Results in a fair slice of the cake for everyone.
Clive101

Post by Clive101 »

erin wrote:Clive, May I ask what CPU are you using and how much RAM?

I'm curious, because I am trying to find out why some people are reporting better sound with JLP, and others reporting better sound with MQN.
May I also ask if you are a person that prefers a forward treble sound? - (or please describe the sort of sound you like and why you think JLP sounds better)

None of this is a loaded question, I'm honestly just curious, I am not disputing your findings one bit.

Personally, I much prefer MQN. FWIW I use a non oversampling TDA1541A tube output DAC.
however I also sometimes use a CS8417 delta sigma DAC. On both DACs MQN sounds better to me than JLP.

I like MQN better because on my PC which is a dual core celeron runing win8.1 with 4GB RAM, I get more microdetail, more depth, more dynamics and more analog sound with MQN. JLP is sounding flat, bright, and for want of another word - digital.
Hi erin

My CPU is an Intel Core i5 2500T with an ASUS motherboard with just 4 GB RAM. DAC is a dCS Debussy using USB but only accepts 24 bit samples so I have only tested MQn using 24 bit 96 files. I think MQn is good but what amazes me about JLP is that on a standard install of 8.1 with no tweaks at all it is far better than a heavily tweaked 8.1 running other software . For some reason, my DAC seems to like JLP alot. MQn is very close and perhaps I need to try tweaking OS / Windows etc but frankly I am getting very tired of all the changes, in fact, so much so that I am very tempted to go for a good standalone CD player. Also, perhaps not a fair comparison as I cannot try 16bit 44.1 WAV files via MQn as not supported by my DAC

In so far as sound, yes I do like a more forward sound perhaps. To get bass right is incredibly difficult and therefore, slightly more forward and detail sound is IMO better but it all depends on speakers and what's in the audio chain.

I find JLP very musical but also very detailed - no hint of digital compression at all - it's amazing how different hardware / DAC combinations can sound as you point out with your setup.

Clive
erin

Post by erin »

Its very interesting indeed. It seems those with i3 / i5 tend to prefer JLP and those with dual core celeron etc. Prefer MQN. Anyone else feel free to chime in....

PS ive noticed lately that ASUS mobos are getting good reviews. Im getting one next time!
Im over gigabyte.
There is only so much cake in the world!
When the greedy people want to have more than their fair share, then there is less cake for everyone else.
Buy locally.
Build locally.
Grow locally.
Share locally.
Results in a fair slice of the cake for everyone.
Clive101

Post by Clive101 »

erin wrote:Its very interesting indeed. It seems those with i3 / i5 tend to prefer JLP and those with dual core celeron etc. Prefer MQN. Anyone else feel free to chime in....

PS ive noticed lately that ASUS mobos are getting good reviews. Im getting one next time!
Im over gigabyte.
Yes I wonder if the lower voltage / simpler hardware is benefiting MQn as MQn is a smaller player (no web service overhead etc) and so probably can run better on dual core systems and perhaps the combination of dual core and minimalist software player is best on this type of setup.

Maybe JLP would be even better on an i7 system?
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

erin wrote:Its very interesting indeed. It seems those with i3 / i5 tend to prefer JLP and those with dual core celeron etc. Prefer MQN. Anyone else feel free to chime in....

Im over gigabyte.
mqn sounds better to me on any pc i have (i3-i7)

i only find smallish differences in mobo's, but still i take all i get
asus seems good, and haswell seems good and i like the msi b85m g43 too
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Clive101 Agree at the moment I am getting fed up of all the tweaks not enough to go back to cdp(never) unless someone gives me that CEC I linked in another thread.

ON JLP not at the races for me MQN is just far better. Intel mobo i7 zuma/linear/batteries.

Erin at this stage I can't remember as it is a year ago but Nigels mobo at a meet sounded better than the intel mobo. I think it was asus but could have been a gigabyte. At the time just accepted it as I had bought the intel and wasn't changing. I do remember at another meet we couldn't discern a difference between the 2 set ups both using ciunas dacs.At that point Nigel had definitely done more tweaking than me!

Really it is whatever works for the person it is not a battle/race against one or the other. For a lot of us MQn was just a benchmark so we are inclined to compare it. How does JLP fair against Jplay for you guys? I am not using Jplay on the mainsystem anymore.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.