Scalford???

Diapason

Scalford???

Post by Diapason »

I see Sligolad's system mentioned in some threads over yonder, so obviously a pretty good impression was made.

Awaiting a full report when the dust settles.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
tony

Re: Scalford???

Post by tony »

First battalion back from battle scalford. Pearse still stuck behind enemy lines. Great weekend, Highly recommended,Large selection of fantastic systems, TT's coming out of their ears,Mad oversized horns,horns with plasma tweeters,£30k TT's, reel to reel with Rogers actives(incredible sounding), Stacked quads in a boxroom rocking the house,New Quad ESL2something05's, Opal Active speakers,Lampizator dac/systems,Jolida,Mulidine speakers, Audionote stuff, Tannoy's,£200 projector that looked great,etc etc etc.
Really nice bunch of folks,great setting when I get more time will do some kind of write up. Highly recommended great way to get exposure in a relaxed setting to a myriad of hifi systems.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

That's a great start anyway, Tony!!
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Sitting in Holyhead waiting on an 8.30 ferry so half the journey back completed....a great weekend all-round and great to have a very able and affable assistant on hand to make it even more worthwhile as it is a major undertaking.
Packing and unpacking all your gear twice over a weekend is no mean feat and when I first seen it all laid out ready for packing Friday night I was really having serious thoughts about a simple Devaliet system but those real concerns have now passed with just one more unpack tonight.

Everything on the audio side worked very well with the only disappointment in that the room was smaller than I remember but we managed to get everything setup as well as we could, seen several pictures up on the Wam thread already. The room was 14 feet by 11 feet by the way.

Tony got some pics of the pre setup which was a real mess on Saturday night and gives some idea of what was involved, good job we did not lay out all the cables as there were more than I ever remember buying, amazing how your system grows without you realising it!!!

We got some great feedback from the punters on the day and quite a number of best in show comments which was good to hear from some very impressed males and females on the day.

There were large portions of the day when there were way too many people in the room and some laid out on the floor.....should have taken some pictures of that but was too busy taking it all in, there were even moments where myself and Tony thought we were going to have difficulty getting some of the bodies out of the room!!

Met some really knowledgeable people who really knew their music and their kit and they were seriously impressed with what we could get out of the Quads from the PC, the amazing bass seemed to be the real shock for many current and ex ESL owners so I expect the second hand price of Quads will take a jump in the coming weeks.

Lots of people asking about MQN so I have posted a quick start on the WAM to save me loads of PM given the interest of which there were a lot of middle aged and older folk very interested.
Tony brought in one of the early versions of the AVX MQN from Saturday night or early Sunday release so it was not the latest but still sounded good on the day, I had planned to run JPlay with some DSD files during the day but everything was going so well with MQN we just stuck with it.

So basically the system was fired up at 8am and did not stop until 5pm that evening so we were both well worn after the day but it was satisfying to get so many great comments and feedback.

Would I do it all again......not sure but I would recommend anyone doing it once, probably after a year I may be all set to go again but maybe we will have another volunteer by then to champion in PC based playback.

Great to meet a fellow ally in Crom (Ben) there, I began to feel a bit normal when he appeared and spent some time with us.
To wrap it up a great day that worked out much better than I had expected and thanks again Tony for all your support and efforts over the weekend.

Cheers, Pearse.

Post by Ivor »

great write up lads, yis did the forum proud!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

That sounds brilliant altogether. Well done both of you!
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Sounds educational

i thought there might be angry mob to deal with (with the heresy of CA)
seems like everyone was willing to give it a listen
fair play to them

So what sounded good/impressed you?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Derek

Post by Derek »

Well done and congratulations on surviving what must have been a very tiring weekend.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Super effort lads. Sounds like it was well worth the effort.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Fantastic guys!! Sounds like a great weekend, I must put this one in the calendar next year.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try