Scalford???

tony

Re: Scalford???

Post by tony »

Too wrecked tonight to think about writing anything as I could go on all night about it but Fran it should be in your diary for definite. More stuff to interest you at it then me. LP sales, TT parts, special builds cartridges running on battery. Really some fabulous stuff I have lots of photo's if I ever figure out flicker will get them uploaded.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

Excellent stuff lads, just heading over to the Wam to make more sense of things

SJB.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Fantastic guys - glad it went so well for both of you.
Pearse, glad your baby was so warmly appreciated at the show
A bit like childbirth, you will have forgotten about the pain & this time next year will probably want to go again :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Before I get back to work gotta say this trip was an experience
got my eyes opened in all sorts of ways
lots of turntables some are really works of art
lots of horn speakers
the big tape desks were really impressive
very organic and natural
many visits were made
but I think not all the detail is making it through and/or through the speakers

most people don't seem to take the same critical approach as the CA crew here would

really enjoyed the Indian restaurant too
was much better than the hotel :)

anyway real good trip
and tony seemed to pick up a good deal on a pair of 63s
pearses pc worked without fail
so everybody's happy
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Forgot all about Scalford. Any show reports doing the rounds? Did you hear anything you liked?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Well done guys. Sounds like a busy few days.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

well comparing is impossible due to all the different configurations
but there was a guy under us with some horns, tweeters, tricked out cdp
need to look up the exact config but it sounded real good,
not just as detailed as pearses but was good
guy knew how to get good sound :)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

Great show again. Huge effort by Pearse.Van Hire carried over 2 power amps,Pre amp, Hifiracks, Power regenerator a pc that when assembled look liked a pyramid,heaps of cables, Big 7 dac and 2 empty 63 boxes, oh and a cd player. We took the easy option with Ryanair into Birmingham.
Could write tons about the show, Fantastic Fostex(Ithink) home made horns with separate bass units and some fostex I think Supertweeters,Mingda amp/pre and Roksan something wierd CD player that had its own suspension. Sounded incredible. Tons of other great systems,Audio gear, Graaf GM20, Harbeth speakers the sublime tape reel stuff from some BBC engineers and host of other wonderful bits and pieces from all ends of the spectrum.

We used 63's I took a hunch on buying close to Scalford. They sounded nice in the room but a bit of bass boom and our sound engineer from meath felt we should be getting more detail. I think he was right.Got them home tonight and currently given them a blast. Totally different presentation initially anyway from Scalford. Huge detail to my ears and completely different to the 57's.

A big thanks to Pearse for bringing them back. Really appreciate the time/effort he goes to always help out. He took the risk and the laborious task of hauling them home. I owe you big time Pearse!

Separately we made it to One Thing Audio who are located about 14miles from the Airport. Wow what a set up and it has been said elsewhere how they do what they do in the surroundings they work in is short of a miracle. You could meet two more decent individuals. They supply the boards designed by themselves to Quad for refurbishment. Quad also use their clamp boards. If you want 57's or 63's and are prepared to pay the refurb price just call them and get yourself on the list. Well worth it and you will be amazed at what you receive.

To answer Simon will put a list of stuff together I liked over the next few days but as I mentioned above and Nigel has just posted that Horn system would be my choice. He paid £200 on Ebay for the horns which are a well know design available on the web.(I will need to do some research to find it)
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Great stuff!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:Great show again. Huge effort by Pearse.Van Hire carried over 2 power amps,Pre amp, Hifiracks, Power regenerator a pc that when assembled look liked a pyramid,heaps of cables, Big 7 dac and 2 empty 63 boxes, oh and a cd player. We took the easy option with Ryanair into Birmingham.
Yes the power pyramid compulsory power configuration :)
Trip Is quite a bit of work
Dedication is undoubted
Could write tons about the show, Fantastic Fostex(Ithink) home made horns with separate bass units and some fostex I think Supertweeters,Mingda amp/pre and Roksan something wierd CD player that had its own suspension.

Was talking to the guy clock replacement, power supply, and anti vibration was mentioned

We used 63's I took a hunch on buying close to Scalford. They sounded nice in the room but a bit of bass boom and our sound engineer from meath felt we should be getting more detail. I think he was right.Got them home tonight and currently given them a blast. Totally different presentation initially anyway from Scalford. Huge detail to my ears and completely different to the 57's.
Had a feeling the detail would come out of the 63s they seem to Be a solid pair
Room in scalford must Have been doing the wee bit of harm
Regardless still one of thee best sounding rooms

Separately we made it to One Thing Audio who are located about 14miles from the Airport. Wow what a set up and it has been said elsewhere how they do what they do in the surroundings they work in is short of a miracle. You could meet two more decent individuals. They supply the boards designed by themselves to Quad for refurbishment. Quad also use their clamp boards. If you want 57's or 63's and are prepared to pay the refurb price just call them and get yourself on the list. Well worth it and you will be amazed at what you receive.
One thing was were interesting I can see it becoming a bit of a lost art though
The refurb work is quite labour some
And I'd imagine many would not want to spend it on them

To answer Simon will put a list of stuff together I liked over the next few days but as I mentioned above and Nigel has just posted that Horn system would be my choice. He paid £200 on Ebay for the horns which are a well know design available on the web.(I will need to do some research to find it)
Would be great fun to do a pick and mix with the components
To allow a bit of comparative testing but I guess its not really that practical