the photography thread

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
Fran
Site Admin

the photography thread

Post by Fran »

Prompted by jaybees post elsewhere - here's the place to post your favourite pics - I know some of you out there are budding photographers. Hey it matches the audio addiction!! Maybe its the only other way to spend more money than hifi!!

To start things off, here's one of my own. I normally shoot film and print my own, but I've been doing some work recently with studio strobes.

Imagedon't look back by francis morrin, on Flickr
Do or do not, there is no try
cybot

Re: the photography thread

Post by cybot »

That's a stunning image Fran. I won't ask you about the studio strobes ;)
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

well they aren't cryogenically treated anyway!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Fran wrote:well they aren't cryogenically treated anyway!
:)))
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

lovely light Fran...

you must shed some light on the salt print process too...

two of the thing competing for long term funds are hifi and a new Hasselblad...

I've got a perfect spot for a teeny darkroom and I feel like it's time to rediscover chemical photography

in hifi terms, I'm moving from my dCS stack (canon 1ds mkiii) to an sme model 30!!!
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Seán

Post by Seán »

Fran, that is a beautiful photograph, I love it.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Great shot Fran.. are you using 35mm of MF?
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

So I use a range of cameras - on the digital side I have a canon 7D. For film... well I use a few different ones. I have a canon eos 5 and a 10 - these are both regular SLR cameras - the 10QD is especially for infrared stuff as it was the last model before canon moved to an infrered diode for film counting - which messed with the IR film. The lenses are compatible with both these bodies. I also shoot on a QL17 rangefinder as a walkabout camera. For MF I have a kiev88cm (russian hasselblad cline) and a zeiss ikon nettar 6x9. I also do some LF work and I use a chamonix 045N-2 for that. She be a thing a' beauty arrrr...

The shot above was using the 7D with a russian 44-2 helios lens.

Salt process goes back to the early days. William Henry Fox Talbot was the main man here. Basically, you need a big negative (I'd say 5x4 is as small as you could go which you contact print onto coated and sensitised paper. Good quality paper is coated with a solution of gelatine (to act as a size) and salt. Before use, the salted paper is coated with silver nitrate, dried and then cntact printed. The exposed paper is then washed, toned and fixed. Its a bit more complicated than that, but thats the basis of it. There's a lovely look to the images at the end (once you get past the frustrations of it not working of course!).

ImageSalt Print by francis morrin, on Flickr

That one was one of the first I got a decent result on. The scan didn't go too well - the texture on the paper showed up much more prominently than real life.

The lure of chemicals is strong!! I would say deveopling the film is the easy bit, but the darkroom (printing) is where the art is at. When you see that image coming up in the tray its magic every time.

Fran
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I probably only understood about 50% of that, but it's fierce feckin' interesting all the same! Great stuff, Fran.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Impressive stuff there Fran. That camera looks very intriguing indeed.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP