the photography thread

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
fergus

Re: the photography thread

Post by fergus »

terrybites wrote:Came across this extraordinary alabaster workshop in Volterra, Tuscany....
That looks like a really interesting place!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

My final floral contribution for the moment gets to the heart of the matter with a bit of close up photography....

Terry

Post by Terry »

[That looks like a really interesting place![/quote]

It is Fergus. The town itself is west of Sienna. It's castellated, very beautiful and well worth a visit if you are ever in the region. We came across the workshop by accident. Not at all touristy and very much rooted in age-old tradition and craft. One of the owners (family operation for generations) was working a piece on a lathe and you wouldn't believe the amount of dust. No protection. Had to laugh when I spotted the 'Vietato Fumare' notice later. Thin end of the wedge! We explored a little further and came across the spaces pictured. Stunning sculptures, plaster casts and ancient equipment. Not much of a snapper (used an iPad) but the content is rich.

Best.

Terry
System 1. LP12/Mose Hercules/Ittok LVII/ATOC9III, Dynavector P75 MkIII, Denon DCD-A100, iPad/AirPlay, Accuphase e303x, Gale gs401a.
System2. iMac/Tidal, iFI Dac, Dynavector L200 pre, Croft Iosis, Sonus Faber Auditor M.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Terry wrote:
It is Fergus. The town itself is west of Sienna. It's castellated, very beautiful and well worth a visit if you are ever in the region. We came across the workshop by accident. Not at all touristy and very much rooted in age-old tradition and craft. One of the owners (family operation for generations) was working a piece on a lathe and you wouldn't believe the amount of dust. No protection. Had to laugh when I spotted the 'Vietato Fumare' notice later. Thin end of the wedge! We explored a little further and came across the spaces pictured. Stunning sculptures, plaster casts and ancient equipment. Not much of a snapper (used an iPad) but the content is rich.

Best.

Terry

Cheers Terry,

I have travelled a bit around Northern Italy and I am not surprised at all with your description of the workshop and its Health & Safety regime!! Different world and mind set altogether but visits to such places are very enjoyable nonetheless; closer to the "real thing" perhaps?
fergus

Post by fergus »

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I'm heading to Tuscany shortly for a photo trip and volterra is now on the list!
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote:I'm heading to Tuscany shortly for a photo trip and volterra is now on the list!

Anywhere in Tuscany or Umbria will do Fran, it's an incredible part of the world. For me Volterra was off the beaten track and when we spent a day there I actually found little except lovely cafés, shops and of course scenery. Terry was very lucky! Sienna itself is stunning and tourist towns such as San Gimignano, while a cliché, are a snappers paradise. High in the Tuscan hills you can see for hundreds of miles. Assisi is a good one too.... lots of religious irony!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
fergus

Post by fergus »

Fran wrote:I'm heading to Tuscany shortly for a photo trip and volterra is now on the list!
If you have not been in the region before you are in for a real treat Fran. If you have been there before you will know what to expext! Either way enjoy it! You said it was for a photo shoot so if you have not been in the region before I would advise you to bring plenty of black and white film stock as there will also be ample opportunities for monochrome photography.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I think "photo trip to Tuscany" might even beat "organ trip to Holland".
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
tony

Post by tony »

Oops just noticed Ivor had covered all this earlier in the thread.

Got to Volterra this year. Nice hilltop town,great views some tacky albaster but some very nice stuff as well. Some american orchestra where playing in the square. We went there years ago when we drove all the way.All that region is very enjoyable.San Gimignano, Siena,Lucca and Pisa among lots more. If kids in tow beware of the twisty roads as it can induce a reaction!
Last edited by tony on Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.