the photography thread

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
Fran
Site Admin

Re: the photography thread

Post by Fran »

Lovely shot Fergus - great point of view.

Here's one I sent out a few weeks back to a guy in Spain as part of a print exchange (bunch of lads who still do darkroom work, all get together and everyone sends out one print and in turn receives one print). The exchange is a great way to see others work and find out about new papers, techniques etc etc. I've been out of the darkroom for the last 5 weeks at least so it was great getting back in to it for a short while yesterday!

This one is a scan of a print I did. Its a tree at the edge of Doo lough in Mayo - a lonely place and the scene of a very sad tragedy in famine times where 17 people died while trudging to Louisburgh for food.

ImageTree at Doo Lough by francis morrin, on Flickr
Do or do not, there is no try
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:
cybot wrote:
That's a stunning image Fergus! I still can't figure out how you did it? Something to do with focus?

Thank you very much Dermot; your comment is much appreciated.

Basically I was shooting a reflection to start with (obviously) so the image will be somewhat softer anyway. A wide aperture will then give a narrower depth of field and finally I did not sharpen the image in the editing suite. The intention was to leep the image "soft" from the beginning.
You sound as if you know what you're talking about! No need to be modest about it now Fergus ;)
Anyway keep them coming.....
fergus

Post by fergus »

Fran wrote:Lovely shot Fergus - great point of view.

Here's one I sent out a few weeks back to a guy in Spain as part of a print exchange (bunch of lads who still do darkroom work, all get together and everyone sends out one print and in turn receives one print). The exchange is a great way to see others work and find out about new papers, techniques etc etc. I've been out of the darkroom for the last 5 weeks at least so it was great getting back in to it for a short while yesterday!

This one is a scan of a print I did. Its a tree at the edge of Doo lough in Mayo - a lonely place and the scene of a very sad tragedy in famine times where 17 people died while trudging to Louisburgh for food.

ImageTree at Doo Lough by francis morrin, on Flickr
I like that Fran; I like the mood and sense of desolation in it.

The print swapping is a nice idea!

Unfortunately I have been out of the darkroom for considerably longer than five weeks! I used to really enjoy it.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote: You sound as if you know what you're talking about! No need to be modest about it now Fergus ;)
I used to know what I was talking about Dermot; not so sure anymore! Although all of the above images are from a digital source I never really embraced digital photography on the same scale or in the same way as I did analogue photography.
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:
cybot wrote: You sound as if you know what you're talking about! No need to be modest about it now Fergus ;)
I used to know what I was talking about Dermot; not so sure anymore! Although all of the above images are from a digital source I never really embraced digital photography on the same scale or in the same way as I did analogue photography.
Me too :( It's just so impersonal and, dare I say it, easy. Where will all the millions of images go when the hard drives go up in smoke in some future time?
cybot

Post by cybot »

Just something I took on one of my frequent bike spins along the Rock road aeons ago.....

Last edited by cybot on Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Great shots Fergus. How do you get the "frames" for the images?
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote:Just something I took on one of my frequent bike spins along the Rock road aeons ago.....

Nice one Dermot; simple is always good!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Rocker wrote:Great shots Fergus. How do you get the "frames" for the images?
Thank you Tom. I host my images on Photobucket before I post them here. Photobucket has its own editing suite when one can resize and on the toolbar you just click the "Frames" icon, select the one that you want, click it and it automatically applies itself to your image. It is as simple as that!