Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
mcq

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by mcq »

Listening this evening to the wonderful music of Marilyn Crispell, one of the most consistently interesting working pianists of the last 30 years.  She is an inventive, thoughtful musician whose music can vary from the adventurous to the more mainstream.  I first encountered her playing on the records she produced with Anthony Braxton where she impressed with her intuitive grasp of Braxton's very cerebral idiom.  Since then, she has performed in a number of different settings - solo, duo and larger ensembles - and has displayed her adaptability to many different styles of music.  What remains constant is her thoughtful and meditative approach to her work.  Whether she is perfoming something ruminative and inward or something that is more dynamically expressive, what comes across very clearly to me is a real engagement with the music, a sense of formal clarity in its internal organisation, and most importantly, a personal expression that is communicated with deep emotive value.  Very highly recommended.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
mcq

Post by mcq »

Rounding out tonight's listening with a pianist fron a younger generation, Craig Taborn.  Thus far he has recorded two discs as a leader for ECM, one solo (Avenging Angel) and one as part of a trio (Chants).  On the trio date, he is joined by bassist Thomas Morgan and drummer Gerald Cleaver, adventurous and forward-thinking musicians who have played with the likes of Tim Berne and Masabumi Kibuchi , and - most notably - appeared together as the rhythm section on Tomasz Stanko's superb Wislawa.  These are tough-minded creative players which respond well to Taborn's angular, complex music, always responsive and alert to its internal nuances, and continually pressing the pianist into very interesting situations.  A very satisfying trio date.  Avenging Angel is an improvised solo session that Taborn recorded in 2011. Where the trio date is expansive, this is more inward in its approach - spare, reflective playing infused by a feeling of spontaneous energy that  feels unpredictable and exciting.  A wonderful pianist.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
markof

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
markof

Post by markof »

Back with John Surman's Saltash Bells again.
Really tremendous album. Electronic with folk melodies and jazz sensibilities and a dash of Michael Nyman about it.

Terrific for showing off the hi-fi. Full of micro detail from the closely-miked horns.
By the way, am trying out the iDSD Nano dac on my main system and what a tremendous bargain - really beautiful sound with lots of detail, especially when using battery powered. Compares very favourably with my JKDAC32.

Anyone else like Surman and any recommendations based on this album?

Mark.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
cybot

Post by cybot »

markof wrote:Image

Back with John Surman's Saltash Bells again.
Really tremendous album. Electronic with folk melodies and jazz sensibilities and a dash of Michael Nyman about it.

Terrific for showing off the hi-fi. Full of micro detail from the closely-miked horns.
By the way, am trying out the iDSD Nano dac on my main system and what a tremendous bargain - really beautiful sound with lots of detail, especially when using battery powered. Compares very favourably with my JKDAC32.

Anyone else like Surman and any recommendations based on this album?

Mark.
I've always loved Surman's take on folk jazz. I'll come back to you later with recommendations from my own vinyl collection. Let me think: 'Road to St. Ives' (1990) is most definitely one that is awash with 'folk melodies and jazz sensibilities' :)

Another one from a few years earlier is 'Private City'...
cybot

Post by cybot »

Mark,

Here's three I would definitely recommend from John Surman. The last one in particular is a stone cold classic in my opinion featuring the stunning wordless vocals of Aina Kemanis and the subterranean acoustic bass of Barre Phillips. Going to have fun myself tonight catching up with these :)

markof

Post by markof »

cybot wrote:Mark,

Here's three I would definitely recommend from John Surman. The last one in particular is a stone cold classic in my opinion featuring the stunning wordless vocals of Aina Kemanis and the subterranean acoustic bass of Barre Phillips. Going to have fun myself tonight catching up with these :)

Very cool, will track these down. Many thanks.
cybot

Post by cybot »

You're more than welcome Mark. Don't forget to report back with your findings. Happy hunting :)
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

inspired by Homeland of all things, this got dusted off this evening (and did it need dusting!!
Attachments
miles_davis_plays_for_lovers_wt.jpg
miles_davis_plays_for_lovers_wt.jpg (63.36 KiB) Viewed 300 times
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....