Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
markof

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by markof »

cybot wrote:
markof wrote:Image

Preparing for the Cork Jazz Fest.
Quercus are booked for the Triskel Christchurch on the 25th.

http://guinnessjazzfestival.com

Anyone else thinking of attending?

Mark.
Ah it's a pity ECM have neglected the dedicated vinyl lover. I'm missing out on so much stuff :(
Anyway that's a very unusual combination of artists even though I'm only familiar with June T....
You may have heard Huw Warren, the pianist, as he is a regular with June Tabor on a number of her more recent albums. Wonderful player.
The album is very "English" in style - somewhat similar to the folk influenced John Surman albums which you recommended to me recently.

Mark.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
cybot

Post by cybot »

markof wrote:
cybot wrote:
markof wrote:Image

Preparing for the Cork Jazz Fest.
Quercus are booked for the Triskel Christchurch on the 25th.

http://guinnessjazzfestival.com

Anyone else thinking of attending?

Mark.
Ah it's a pity ECM have neglected the dedicated vinyl lover. I'm missing out on so much stuff :(
Anyway that's a very unusual combination of artists even though I'm only familiar with June T....
You may have heard Huw Warren, the pianist, as he is a regular with June Tabor on a number of her more recent albums. Wonderful player.
The album is very "English" in style - somewhat similar to the folk influenced John Surman albums which you recommended to me recently.

Mark.
No I haven't Mark as I've no June Tabour Lps in my collection. Shock! Horror! I don't know, I never felt inclined to check her out. The ones I do know and love however are the likes of Shirley Collins, Sandy Denny, Anne Briggs.....

So which of her albums would you not be without? June's I mean.....

How are you getting on with the John Surman albums? He hasn't changed much has he lol!
markof

Post by markof »

No I haven't Mark as I've no June Tabour Lps in my collection. Shock! Horror! I don't know, I never felt inclined to check her out. The ones I do know and love however are the likes of Shirley Collins, Sandy Denny, Anne Briggs.....

How are you getting on with the John Surman albums? He hasn't changed much has he lol!
Two recent June Tabor albums come to mind

At the wood's heart - a very melodic and musical album with the heartbreaking "cloud factory"
Aqaba - very austere, stark record and the voice is perfect and unique.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
cybot

Post by cybot »

markof wrote:

Two recent June Tabor albums come to mind

At the wood's heart - a very melodic and musical album with the heartbreaking "cloud factory"
Aqaba - very austere, stark record and the voice is perfect and unique.

Thanks for tips on June. Oh, should I rephrase that? :)
markof

Post by markof »

A really lovely album - mostly acoustic guitar.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Streaming from Qobuz

HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
Bannjo

Post by Bannjo »

Im new here so not sure if this has been posted yet, but being well into my Nordic jazz I can't recommend this guy highly enough. Tord Gustavsen, while he can be a bit slow for some tastes this is sublime melancholy piano playing with accompaniment from tenor saxophonist Toro Brunborg.
Attachments
tord 2.jpg
tord 2.jpg (29.9 KiB) Viewed 455 times
tord gustavesen.jpg
tord gustavesen.jpg (29.86 KiB) Viewed 455 times
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I have a few of his albums and I really love them. Perfect for late night with a glass of something strong.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

More ECM listening:

Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Post by Seán »

Oh my, I was at the Sonny Rollins concert in the Olympia Theatre in Cork in late October 1981 and it was the musical experience of a lifetime: the enormous energy and musicality of the man is astonishing, he had the audience in the palm of his hand for the entire performance, what a musician! He is beautiful, beyond compare.
Relatively unknown Sonny Rollins performance reminiscent of his early 60s The Bridge days when he replaced piano with guitar. Τhis time a young Bobby Broom takes the place of Jim Hall but the great Bob Cranshaw on bass -- who's been with Rollins on and off for 5 decades -- remains a staple on both outfits. Filmed live at the third Montreal International Jazz Festival on July 4, 1982.

Sonny Rollins ts
Bobby Broom g
Yoshiaki Masuo g
Bob Cranshaw b
Jack DeJohnette d

Track listing:

1. Here You Come Again 00:00
2. Penny Saved 7:45
3. My One and Only Love 21:38
4. I'll Be Seeing You 29:35
5. Don't Stop the Carnival 39:14
6. Alfie 49:28
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler