Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Ivor

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by Ivor »

I was jazzing it up myself. (That sounds wrong).
Anyway, I picked this up recently on vinyl in Tower and it's a cracker. For me it doesn't really come to life until side 2 but I'm young, I have time to learn to love side 1.

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Modest

Post by Modest »

Seán wrote:
Modest wrote:All day just JAZZ
Yer a wise man.
I have that set on a double and a single LP collection from the late seventies, it's gorgeous. It was released after Paul died. Enjoy.
This cold evening I'm spinning Paul Desmond again :)
On the list :
And bottle of wine ochhhhhhhhhhh ears full of music :-)
2012 R2 server/JK 32DAC/Audio Innovations L2 preamp/Audio Innovations 800MK3 power/Impulse H2 horn speakers /Linn LP12 ,ittok lvii/Linn Linto/Linn Lingo2 /Avid,Inakustik,Acrotec cables
Modest

Post by Modest »

Love this Oscar and Jackson project ...
2012 R2 server/JK 32DAC/Audio Innovations L2 preamp/Audio Innovations 800MK3 power/Impulse H2 horn speakers /Linn LP12 ,ittok lvii/Linn Linto/Linn Lingo2 /Avid,Inakustik,Acrotec cables
Seán

Post by Seán »

The VJO's tribute to Julie Cavadini:

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DancingPriest

Post by DancingPriest »

b318isp wrote:I caught these on lyric FM once and thought they were brilliant. Apparently, they were a street band but made the big time with this album, which was nominated for the 2008 Mercury prize. They use the alto sax a lot (sounding almost like a clarinet) and instruments called "hang drums" - a swiss invention which sounds like a carribean steel drum.

Portico Quartet - Knee deep in the North Sea:
Ivor wrote:I was jazzing it up myself. (That sounds wrong).
Anyway, I picked this up recently on vinyl in Tower and it's a cracker. For me it doesn't really come to life until side 2 but I'm young, I have time to learn to love side 1.

Cheers for the heads up guys, I'm thoroughly engrossed in the both of these!
I'm feckin loving Spotify!
Derek

Post by Derek »

Virtuoso bassist Avishai Cohen has played with Chick Corea, "At Home" recorded in 2004 is his second solo offering.
This CD is in a similar vein to The Bad Plus or EST but with an eastern tinge bringing intensity and sincerity and a very good recording to boot.
I've had this on in the background for the last few days and it has grown on me to the point where I sat to listen. Other than skipping track one (maybe I need more time to appreciate this one) this is a cracking offering.
Some of the best inter-weaving between Bass and Drums I've come across in quite a while, power with control.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

On LP

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:On LP

I have it on vinyl too. It's a terrrific recording. What a wonderful interpretration of Rodrigo's work, it's simply beautiful. Even Fergus would like it!
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Seán wrote:I have it on vinyl too. It's a terrrific recording. What a wonderful interpretration of Rodrigo's work, it's simply beautiful. Even Fergus would like it!
Its a great recording alright Seán. Strangely this was the recording that opened the door for me to Miles. A Kind of Blue I didnt quite warm to much.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:
Seán wrote:I have it on vinyl too. It's a terrrific recording. What a wonderful interpretration of Rodrigo's work, it's simply beautiful. Even Fergus would like it!
Its a great recording alright Seán. Strangely this was the recording that opened the door for me to Miles. A Kind of Blue I didnt quite warm to much.
Then you obviously enjoy his work with Gil Evans so you might want to get a copy of Porgy and Bess if you don't already have it. I first listened to Kind of Blue when I was 19 years old and I was smitten, I love it.