Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Seán

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by Seán »

On the TT:

Stan Getz plays tenor sax and improvises over arrangements for a string section written by Eddie Sauter. The drummer is Elvin Jones.

I'm late, I'm late

Pan

Her
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
markof

Post by markof »

Lovely, hot New Orleans groove.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Derek

Post by Derek »

Nice Album Markof

He gets a bit more New Orleans Bluesy collaborating with Corey Harris.

NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Duke Ellington's fabulous 1950's trumpet section performing Cat Anderson's flag waver., 'El Gato'.

From left to right: Harold 'Shorty' Baker (the section's favourite lead man), Clark Terry, William 'Cat' Anderson and Ray Nance:
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I picked this up in Tower yesterday (a mere €11.99 for the CD!) and it's a huge improvement over his other stuff which frankly I found disappointing. This comes with bonus tracks and a 5 track live DVD with the Metropole Orkest.
I suspect he has a few Johnny Hartman LPs in his collection.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
markof

Post by markof »

European style jazz accordion - who could ask for more :-).
Lovely album on what is an excellent label - ACT.
Has a kind of soft machine vibe too.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
mcq

Post by mcq »

Michael Wollny is an excellent pianist in his own right and the following albums are well worth investigating.

Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
markof

Post by markof »

mcq wrote:Michael Wollny is an excellent pianist in his own right and the following albums are well worth investigating.

Thanks for the recommendations.
I'll check on Qobuz.
Mark
Bannjo

Post by Bannjo »

Heard this recently on a friends system, he is a professional reviewer for a Hi-Fi magazine so he has some serious kit. He describes this as his reference vinyl album. Wow what a sound the clarity, the dynamics and soundstage - wonderful and the music, St James Infirmary, Frankie and Johnny etc sublime!! Needless to say I had to get one and so after some searching I have finally acquired a nice clean copy of Discogs for a very reasonable price. Now this has become my own reference vinyl. It also sounds pretty mean on CD!
Attachments
Satchmo.jpg
Satchmo.jpg (37.58 KiB) Viewed 529 times