Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
markof

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Seán

Post by Seán »

markof wrote:Image
That is an interesting line up of musicians paying tribute to one of the greats in Jazz. Billy Strayhorn's influence on Ellington was immense.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

I was inspired by Mark to listen to this again:

Pat Metheny – Guitar, Guitar synthesizer
Lyle Mays – Piano, Keyboards
Steve Rodby – Acoustic and Electric Bass
Paul Wertico – Drums
Armando Marçal – Percussion, Timbales, Congas, Voice
Pedro Aznar – Voice, Acoustic guitar, Percussion, Saxophone, Steel drums, Vibraphone, Marimba, Melodica
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

On the TT:

Zoot Sims (ts)
Jimmy Rowles (p)
George Mraz (b)
Mousie Alexander (ds)

Oh I LOVE Zoot: he has a beautiful tone, and a wonderfully expressive way of playing, one of the greats.

If I'm lucky:

You're my everything
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I've owned this album for more than 10 years and I'm not sure I've ever listened to it. No time like the present:

Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:I've owned this album for more than 10 years and I'm not sure I've ever listened to it. No time like the present:

It is a splendid album and was recorded over two days in July 1956 on the same studio sessions as the Workin', Cookin' and Steamin' albums. Miles recorded the 4 albums to fullfil his contractual obligations to Prestige before moving to Columbia.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I listened to Cookin' and Workin' as well, but didn't get to Steamin'.

I find the breadth of Miles's output utterly fascinating, even if I don't really "get" the later stuff. Perhaps it's because I know the history, but it sounds to me like he's phoning it in a little here, but Miles phoning it in is still better than many others at full tilt!
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jaco Pastorius: Bass
Michael Brecker: Tenor Saxophone
Bob Mintzer: Bass Clarinet, Soprano and Tenor Saxophone
Dan Bonsanti: Saxophone, Woodwinds
Gary Lindsay: Saxophone, Woodwinds
Randy Emerick: Baritone Saxophone
Kenneth Faulk: Trumpet
Brian O’Flaherty: Trumpet
Brett Murphey: Trumpet
Jerry Peel: French Horn
Peter Gordon: French Horn
Russ Freeland: Trombone
Mike Katz: Trombone
Dave Bargeron: Trombone, Tuba
Peter Graves: Bass Trombone
Othello Molineaux: Steel Drums
Peter Erskine: Drums
Don Alias: Conga
Oscar Salas: Percussion
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

You know, I think this is actually a pretty good album. No singing, just piano, sometimes with bass, one track with bass and drums. I'm doing my cred no good here, I know...

Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:You know, I think this is actually a pretty good album. No singing, just piano, sometimes with bass, one track with bass and drums. I'm doing my cred no good here, I know...

No problem with me in that regard Simon. I have an aversion to Jazz and Pop singers. ;)