Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Seán

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by Seán »

Hi Fergus, if you like Sam Jones playing then you might enjoy this marvellous album with NHØP:

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

And to continue with the theme of marvellous bass players, how about Ray Brown and Duke Ellington's tribute to Duke's bass player: Jimmy Blanton, who revolutionised bass playing in Jazz but who sadly died from TB in 1941 at the tender age of 21. The impact on Ellington and his musicians was immense, but I digress.

Here's a sample to whet your appetite, it's called 'Pitter, Panther, Patter'. Duke's sophisticated use of simplicity.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

And here is the original Ellington & Blanton recording from the 1st October 1940:

fergus

Post by fergus »

Thank you for all of that Sean; much appreciated.
In truth I have not come across either Jones or Blanton before. They were both, undoubtedly, wonderful musicians!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

just arrived (among other goodies!) this remaster and repress..
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

and another of today's arrivals... I only ever had a crackly old copy.. this is brand new and truly "panoramic" HiFi

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Derek

Post by Derek »

Ivor wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:59 pm just arrived (among other goodies!) this remaster and repress..
Ohh, that looks like a real keeper. Since u put Blossom on my radar, I’ve taken every chance to listen to and promote her brilliance.
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
markof

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Can’t paste it :James Brandon Lewis: “The Mesthetics and James Brandon Lewis “ 🎶
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
markof

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X