AUDIO PC: Direct power to motherboad 24 and 4pin (picoless)

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: AUDIO PC: Direct power to motherboad 24 and 4pin (picole

Post by nige2000 »

adolfo.a.aguiar wrote:
nige2000 wrote:
That's great

I didn't think they'd answer that

I'd advise to get a cheap or old mobo for testing on
mistakes happen easily enough
Nige2000,

Are the A123 terminals made of aluminium? I read that it's hard to solder aluminium terminals.
What are you using?
Are you using a battery management system?
Thanks.

Adolfo
some suppliers offer to weld tabs to the a123 cells, id take them up on it
its not impossible to solder but it can be difficult depending on your iron youtube has some tutorials

im not using a battery management system
the 5v wont be distributed exactly evenly, you can use a battery management system if you like but it may affect performance
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

minionas wrote:
nige2000 wrote:custom for voltage or something else?
custom for output voltage and power. company i'll order those at, has also few levels of transformer treatment programs for audio purposes, such as core and coil saturation, electrical (between the coils) and magnetic (external anti-disturbance screen) shields, enclosures filled with epoxy resin and etc.
i'm doing a diy dac build (final idea to make Dual mono BuffaloIIISE + FIFO reclocked signal from WaveIO USB + all those powered by Paul Hynes regulators + lampizator balanced output stage with high end tube power supply) and ordered few transformers with level1 audio treatment, so will see it's quality. But their prices are very affordable.
transformer stuff sounds interesting do they have a website?

i got the dddac/waveio and the fifo, i haven't done much with it yet, due to all the pc stuff (clock experiments took alot of time)
would like to try the bIII at some stage
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201109723894? ... 1497.l2649

Nigel ordered three of these they are now back in stock. Batteries are my next move. I think from our conversations there is nothing else major required? Will refer to your guide above in relation to the type and amount of batteries needed.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
item_audio

Post by item_audio »

The DAT1 reviewed in HiFi World December 2011 was the first of our machines to break cover without the PicoPSU inside.
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/hifi_world/vol21_no10/

Getting away from the PicoPSU was in the top three biggest steps we've taken forward, I think. You'll see from the review pix we were using three entirely separate transformers and regulator boards with the option to step down one for 1.5V for memory.

However, things change and that's no longer the only way to skint he cat. For instance, has anyone tried the HDPlex low noise version of the PicoPSU?
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

item_audio wrote:The DAT1 reviewed in HiFi World December 2011 was the first of our machines to break cover without the PicoPSU inside.
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/hifi_world/vol21_no10/

Getting away from the PicoPSU was in the top three biggest steps we've taken forward, I think. You'll see from the review pix we were using three entirely separate transformers and regulator boards with the option to step down one for 1.5V for memory.

However, things change and that's no longer the only way to skint he cat. For instance, has anyone tried the HDPlex low noise version of the PicoPSU?
someone mentioned to me they had the new hdplex ps or getting it, ill try remember and find out
minionas

Post by minionas »

nige2000 wrote:

i got the dddac/waveio and the fifo, i haven't done much with it yet, due to all the pc stuff (clock experiments took alot of time)
their site is http://www.toroidy.pl/index.php?language=2
they are in poland, so the delivery is quick, and no import duties.
i was quoted ~20EUR+shipping per toroid of level1 audio treatment with my parameters 230V/2x6V 1A. Common toroid of such parameters was quoted for ~11EUR.

i thought about dddac before my decission, but made my mind to go for Buffalo:) still assembled only lampizator stage and its tube PSU, waiting for Hynes stuff (boy its long one) then will go for one Buffalo board, if everything will go smooth will add another one for dual mono:)
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

minionas wrote:
nige2000 wrote:

their site is http://www.toroidy.pl/index.php?language=2
they are in poland, so the delivery is quick, and no import duties.
i was quoted ~20EUR+shipping per toroid of level1 audio treatment with my parameters 230V/2x6V 1A. Common toroid of such parameters was quoted for ~11EUR.
yes seb showed me that site a while back might be worth doing a mini group buy, transformers suitable for the 3.3v and 5v aren't that common

what does the audio treatment involve?
i thought about dddac before my decision, but made my mind to go for Buffalo:) still assembled only lampizator stage and its tube PSU, waiting for Hynes stuff (boy its long one) then will go for one Buffalo board, if everything will go smooth will add another one for dual mono:)
well if the ph supplies ever arrive let us know how the lifepo4s compare
tony

Post by tony »

+1 on the transformers great find. Pity Lithuania is too far for a listen Minionas your build looks very interesting
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

nige2000 wrote:
yes seb showed me that site a while back might be worth doing a mini group buy, transformers suitable for the 3.3v and 5v aren't that common

what does the audio treatment involve?
Modifications include but are not limited to: core and coil saturation, electrical (between the coils) and magnetic (external anti-disturbance screen) shields, enclosures filled with epoxy resin, and vibration-proof mounting.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
sebna

Post by sebna »

Yep, all my transformers are coming from there. Mine are grade two out of 3 levels where grade two and three have some enchantments over plain standard of grade 1.

They will make any specs you want. You just tell them what you need and they give you the price. Wait time is around two weeks and few days for postage.

Guys do you have any links for places where I can get good and rather big DIY cases to house my PSU? (at least 34 by 28 cm of usable space). Stylish would be also good but I will not be picky :)

Cheers,
seb
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+