AUDIO PC: Direct power to motherboad 24 and 4pin (picoless)

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
rickmcinnis

Re: AUDIO PC: Direct power to motherboad 24 and 4pin (picole

Post by rickmcinnis »

New system for all intents and purposes.

Got three 40aH LiPo batteries. When I installed the 5 volts one I accidentally reversed the leads and destroyed the MB, CPU memory and memory regulator. Not just anyone could do this. http://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo4-pri ... d-dgr.aspx

This returned me to the analogue world for a little over a week.

So I got another MB. Looking around I noticed this ASROCK board that the manual showed having a great bios. I have purchased boards before that the manuals displayed great BIOS only to receive and not be anything like what was in the manual. This one is incredible. Much more adjustability than with the MSI and much smaller in size. No HDMI video - so one less chip to remove. ASRock H81M-DGS R2.0
Newegg link (not that I would ever recommend anyone to buy from them) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813157483 Also, using the cheapest HASWELL CELEERON CPU; forty dollars or so.

Using an old 1gB memory I have had for years.

You can adjust CPU voltage - you can adjust things I have never heard of.

It is a little weird with battery turn on - never starts on the first try. I am using the P24 connector as a switch so I have to remove the connector and re-insert and it starts right up. Many could find this annoying.

The big batteries, together with this board, are almost incredible. I like the idea a a big reservoir instead of many smaller ones for packaging mainly. My JCAT card died, before I made a mess of things, so I am using the USB 2.0 outputs with the JCAT cable. I am missing what the card added in the highest frequencies - not quite as atmospheric but the bass is, if anything, even better than it was.

Will install the replacement regulator for the memory sometime this week.

Have an NEC based USB 2.0 card on the way. With the ASROCK riser I can power directly from the battery. I do not think USB 3.0 is the way to go and this was reinforced to me by the REGEN fellow who says how it is implemented is not ideal for audio, too noisy. Plus I wonder of half of the goodness of pcie USB is the more direct connection with the CPU? The REGEN fellow also added that there are NO USB 3.0 inputs on DACs or USB/I2S converters so what is the point? I will find out. I will eventually, with Nigel's help (!) install a TXCO on the card.

For ease of conversion to battery power the big batteries are much simpler to implement. Instead of numerous supplies, which very well could have worthwhile advantages sonically, you have the three standard rails. The 12 volts P24 rail has so little work to do I retain the smaller A123s for this. Still using the big A123s for SSD power.

Used to be when I returned to analogue after digital I felt a big relief. Now the tables have turned due to a certain player. Excuse the pun ...
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

nige2000 wrote:actually finding this satadom thing quite interesting i found this on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kingspec-Indust ... 1467422639

if you see below what is quite likely a 5v to 3.3 reg that could be bypassed and a clk that could be replaced if its not good

it could be a very simple "super audio drive"
finally put an os on this and it will work at either 3.3v or 5v
sq wise is similar to usb3 cleanly supplied so needs further testing as its not night and day
and i also like to use os clones while comparing os media to minimise the variables

anyway i recommend it
its a simple mod to get clean power into your os drive

i hope to look closer at the xo and regulator also
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

The advantage I have found is that you can turn all USB off in BIOS when you use a PS2 keyboard.

That is what makes it worthwhile.

I have yet to figure out what is in that picture! My satadom is the size of my thumb. With the player I am using I unplug the satadom once start up is completed so power is not an issue.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
sima66

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:
nige2000 wrote:actually finding this satadom thing quite interesting i found this on ebay

if you see below what is quite likely a 5v to 3.3 reg that could be bypassed and a clk that could be replaced if its not good

sq wise is similar to usb3 cleanly supplied so needs further testing as its not night and day
and i also like to use os clones while comparing os media to minimise the variables

anyway i recommend it

The ebay link is for usb 3.0 cable!
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sima66

Post by sima66 »

rickmcinnis wrote:The advantage I have found is that you can turn all USB off in BIOS when you use a PS2 keyboard.

That is what makes it worthwhile.

I have yet to figure out what is in that picture! My satadom is the size of my thumb. With the player I am using I unplug the satadom once start up is completed so power is not an issue.
Rick, it's a skinless satadom! :)

You should see how my flash drive looked after my gently hands. That's the picture that you will never guess! :)
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
sima66

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:

anyway i recommend it

I like this idea very much! I always wondered why they don't make the SATA flash drive (same as usb flash drive) and than no need for sata cable and also less connections. Looks like they actually made my imaginary product, but with name that I will never found it.....SATA DOM!

Nigel, I'm thinking of converting my unlucky battery PS to 3.3v only. I think that would work. The problem was only with the 5v, right?
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sima66 wrote:
nige2000 wrote:

anyway i recommend it

I like this idea very much! I always wondered why they don't make the SATA flash drive (same as usb flash drive) and than no need for sata cable and also less connections. Looks like they actually made my imaginary product, but with name that I will never found it.....SATA DOM!

Nigel, I'm thinking of converting my unlucky battery PS to 3.3v only. I think that would work. The problem was only with the 5v, right?
yea 3.3v will work fine
even for the usb3 key
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kingspec-Indust ... xyF0pTfIDw

i read that the slc type nand are supposed to be better for audio but i dunno im kinda cheap
sima66

Post by sima66 »

nige2000 wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kingspec-Indust ... xyF0pTfIDw

i read that the slc type nand are supposed to be better for audio but i dunno im kinda cheap
I remember reading that SLC SSD is better than MLC. That was also one of the Marcin's and PPA recommendation.
Never got the luxury to compare the two!
In this case the money difference is not big and might be worth if using OS from the SATA DOM. I don't know if there will be a diference if using RAM OS?!