AUDIO PC: Direct power to motherboad 24 and 4pin (picoless)

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: AUDIO PC: Direct power to motherboad 24 and 4pin (picole

Post by nige2000 »

adolfo.a.aguiar wrote:Thanks, Nige.

I received the following reply from Intel:
"Case 8000939175:
We inform that Intel® Server Board S1200KP does not use pin14 and is even capable of working with a 20-pin power supply".

Good news.
That's great

I didn't think they'd answer that

I'd advise to get a cheap or old mobo for testing on
mistakes happen easily enough
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

minionas wrote:

i was wondering if 1,5A low noise regulator will be sufficient (3A are not available) to maintain charge of lifepo4 cells:
http://e-greenmotion.com/index.php?rout ... duct_id=53
Datasheet of these recommends 3A charging current...

i'm still leaning towards those low noise regulators instead of 5A ones (i can not find noise info on those..)..

wondering what gains i would have instead of my current 2x12V lead acid (trickle charged by pangs 2x12V 5A rails), and numerous NimH battery packs.. (charged by STRONTRONICS 5V 1A PSs)?
hi minionas

im gonna copy this to the picoless thread best continue there
ive dumped enough off topic stuff here

well the 1.5a would be ok but theres little breathing space, and its difficult to know how much of a maximum the 1.5 amp is
for example say your cpu is drawing 0.8 of an amp (underclocked) of the battery pack that in turn will draw 0.8 of the linear reg
stock bios settings that cpu amp draw could be up to 2.5 amp id really prefer if it could at least do that

dont worry about the data sheet its concerned with charging 2.5v cells up to 3.7v we are only worried about maintaining charge which is more or less what the cpu or whatever component is drawing

i have used a few of the 5 amp regulators i dont find them to be a noticeable disadvantage

i take it that the 2x12v lead acid batteries still sound better than ppa 2x12 linear rails on their own, otherwise you wouldn't still be using them right?

the benefit for you with going picoless, is yet again lower noise floor, cleaner deeper and tighter bass, more detail
(really everything better those are the most noticeable aspects)
and your familiar with the battery system

you can still use the nimh and lead acid packs, but the lifepo4s sound just that little bit sweeter
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
minionas

Post by minionas »

nige2000 wrote:
well the 1.5a would be ok but theres little breathing space, and its difficult to know how much of a maximum the 1.5 amp is
for example say your cpu is drawing 0.8 of an amp (underclocked) of the battery pack that in turn will draw 0.8 of the linear reg
stock bios settings that cpu amp draw could be up to 2.5 amp id really prefer if it could at least do that

dont worry about the data sheet its concerned with charging 2.5v cells up to 3.7v we are only worried about maintaining charge which is more or less what the cpu or whatever component is drawing

i have used a few of the 5 amp regulators i dont find them to be a noticeable disadvantage

i take it that the 2x12v lead acid batteries still sound better than ppa 2x12 linear rails on their own, otherwise you wouldn't still be using them right?

the benefit for you with going picoless, is yet again lower noise floor, cleaner deeper and tighter bass, more detail
(really everything better those are the most noticeable aspects)
and your familiar with the battery system

you can still use the nimh and lead acid packs, but the lifepo4s sound just that little bit sweeter
ok, so as i want to experiment with not so hungry stuff (ssd, pang's clock, 3,3v on mobo), then 1,5A low noise regulator must be just fine..though i'm not sure what 3,3V rail current draws there might be in my case (800mhz underclocked I5T haswell, msi b85m-g43 mobo, with all devices powered externally)..? for now i'm not thinking of dropping pang's 12v rails, so 5A rails must be sufficient for 12v cpu and 12v mobo lifepo4 battery pack's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

12 v rails aren't a problem
It's the 3.3 and 5v
The mobo 24 pin requires about 1 amp each for 3.3 and 5
So best to have at least 2 amps available
Two of the linear wall warts same you have should do the 5v rail Inc ssd Usb card etc as long as you have a battery between each device to isolate
You could get 2 of the 1.5 amp regs for the 3.3v
minionas

Post by minionas »

all noted nigel!

ordered 3 of those
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-low-Noise ... 2ed312daf6

waiting to do some testing :) planing to supply it with AC directly from transformers. what output of transformer should i choose for 3,3V and 5V for example? thinking of 4V2A for 3,3 and 5,5V2A for 5. higher voltages then will have to be turned into heat..?
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

minionas wrote:all noted nigel!

ordered 3 of those
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-low-Noise ... 2ed312daf6

waiting to do some testing :) planing to supply it with AC directly from transformers. what output of transformer should i choose for 3,3V and 5V for example? thinking of 4V2A for 3,3 and 5,5V2A for 5. higher voltages then will have to be turned into heat..?
would go a little higher
4- 5v for the 3.3v and 6-7v for the 5v
hear shouldnt be too bad at that
ive a 9v on my 5v reg on my test build right now it is hot but within reason, ill replace it later
minionas

Post by minionas »

nige2000 wrote: would go a little higher
ive a 9v on my 5v reg on my test build right now it is hot but within reason, ill replace it later
will order transformers to be custom made according my specifications, so no problem to make it higher. Thanks Nigel for insights!
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

minionas wrote:
nige2000 wrote: would go a little higher
will order transformers to be custom made according my specifications, so no problem to make it higher. Thanks Nigel for insights!
custom for voltage or something else?
adolfo.a.aguiar

Post by adolfo.a.aguiar »

nige2000 wrote:
That's great

I didn't think they'd answer that

I'd advise to get a cheap or old mobo for testing on
mistakes happen easily enough
Nige2000,

Are the A123 terminals made of aluminium? I read that it's hard to solder aluminium terminals.
What are you using?
Are you using a battery management system?
Thanks.

Adolfo
SDTrans384 with 1X5V and 3x3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Soekris DAM1021 Rev2 with +-12V and 3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Salas hotrodded DCB1, LM3875 Gainclone and IPL Acoustics S2TLM transmission line speakers
minionas

Post by minionas »

nige2000 wrote:custom for voltage or something else?
custom for output voltage and power. company i'll order those at, has also few levels of transformer treatment programs for audio purposes, such as core and coil saturation, electrical (between the coils) and magnetic (external anti-disturbance screen) shields, enclosures filled with epoxy resin and etc.
i'm doing a diy dac build (final idea to make Dual mono BuffaloIIISE + FIFO reclocked signal from WaveIO USB + all those powered by Paul Hynes regulators + lampizator balanced output stage with high end tube power supply) and ordered few transformers with level1 audio treatment, so will see it's quality. But their prices are very affordable.