AUDIO PC: Direct power to motherboad 24 and 4pin (picoless)

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Aleg

Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.

Post by Aleg »

sebna wrote:Yep, all my transformers are coming from there. Mine are grade two out of 3 levels where grade two and three have some enchantments over plain standard of grade 1.

They will make any specs you want. You just tell them what you need and they give you the price. Wait time is around two weeks and few days for postage.

Guys do you have any links for places where I can get good and rather big DIY cases to house my PSU? (at least 34 by 28 cm of usable space). Stylish would be also good but I will not be picky :)

Cheers,
seb

You should be able to find some stylish chassis over here http://www.modushop.biz/ecommerce/index_l2.php

Prompt shipping in my experience, communicate in english and can do very nice things with milling and lettering if want to pay for that.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
sebna

Re: AUDIO PC: Direct power to motherboad 24 and 4pin (picole

Post by sebna »

Thank you Aleg. That is exactly what I was looking for. Plenty of options at reasonable prices.
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Nice cases
Just need to stop tweaking so i can put it in a case and leave it there ;)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
tony

Post by tony »

minionas wrote:
nige2000 wrote:
transformer stuff sounds interesting do they have a website?

i got the dddac/waveio and the fifo, i haven't done much with it yet, due to all the pc stuff (clock experiments took alot of time)
would like to try the bIII at some stage
their site is http://www.toroidy.pl/index.php?language=2
they are in poland, so the delivery is quick, and no import duties.
i was quoted ~20EUR+shipping per toroid of level1 audio treatment with my parameters 230V/2x6V 1A. Common toroid of such parameters was quoted for ~11EUR.

i thought about dddac before my decission, but made my mind to go for Buffalo:) still assembled only lampizator stage and its tube PSU, waiting for Hynes stuff (boy its long one) then will go for one Buffalo board, if everything will go smooth will add another one for dual mono:)
Hi Minionas is Level 1 the top level? Ready to buy and think your link is worth a punt. My understanding is these transformers come in a variable range 0-20v. I just need to buy 3 of the same type and let the regulator reduce the load into the mobo and usb card?

On the design of this power supply can one leave the regulators sitting in the streacom case and wire out to the transformers in a separate housing?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
minionas

Post by minionas »

tony wrote:Hi Minionas is Level 1 the top level? Ready to buy and think your link is worth a punt. My understanding is these transformers come in a variable range 0-20v. I just need to buy 3 of the same type and let the regulator reduce the load into the mobo and usb card?
Hi Tony,

Actually, they have three types they offer:
1) Common transformer;
2) Audio transformer;
3) Audio supreme transformer.
I've chosen middle option (audio), which takes ~21 labor day to produce and cost is less than x2 of common transf. price. Audio supreme includes only some type of encapsulation, takes same period to make and costs are almost x3 of Audio transf. price.

Their power minimum is 20VA as i remember.

Your mentioned powering sequense is right. I've just choosen the following voltage transformers for specific task:
4,5V 2A+ for regulation into 3,3V;
6,5V 2A for regulation into 5V.
wademcinnis

Question for nigel2000

Post by wademcinnis »

First off - your P24 cable is very good.

It inspired me to consider putting the linear supply back in service with changes, of course.

I want to mount the three regulators at the header and seeing your cable made it obvious how to do it. The heatsinking might be interesting but I found there was not as much heat generated as I expected so the heatsinks I used were much too large.

THE QUESTION - do you have a favorite brand of memory? And how mcuh have you found best fro use with MQNplayer. I have been using some CRUCIAL piece of 2 gigabytes. Please tell me what you have found to be good.

Thanks,
nige2000

Re: Question for nigel2000

Post by nige2000 »

wademcinnis wrote:First off - your P24 cable is very good.

It inspired me to consider putting the linear supply back in service with changes, of course.

I want to mount the three regulators at the header and seeing your cable made it obvious how to do it. The heatsinking might be interesting but I found there was not as much heat generated as I expected so the heatsinks I used were much too large.

THE QUESTION - do you have a favorite brand of memory? And how mcuh have you found best fro use with MQNplayer. I have been using some CRUCIAL piece of 2 gigabytes. Please tell me what you have found to be good.

Thanks,
i use kingston hyperx but i havent done any serious cross comparison with other brands or models,
ram settings in bios would be the greater upgrade, more so than switching brands/models
although i had used corsair dominators i had to put them aside because they weren't capable of letting me choose my preferred ram settings in the bios
i knew from a previous build that the hyperx had no such issues and gave much flexibility bios settings wise

unfortunately im a fan of overkill so i use an 8gb stick which is more than excessive
mqn isnt exactly hard on resources but ild like to have at least 4gb for peace of mind even though it would likely work fine on 512mb
jplay used to sound better with more than 4gb but thats a different story
two sticks sound different to one stick but thats a hair splitting exercise
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
wademcinnis

Post by wademcinnis »

Thanks for your note.

cics always recommended KINGSTON and I usually followed his advice Though the CRUCIAL piece I am using allows VERY low voltage settings. Even lower than I could get with KINGSTON. It was not HYPER X. Of course, there is always the envelope of what you can and cannot get away with. I found I could get get "lower" timing settings if I did not go to the minimum with voltage. Compromise ...

Yes, 8 gB seems really excessive but I am still learning the post-XP rules. With cMP I would use 256 kB. I still think single stick makes good sense over doubles and glad you have reassured me of doing that.

Now to take a look at what KINGSTON offers today.

Take care,
adolfo.a.aguiar

Post by adolfo.a.aguiar »

Unfortunately, I had no success in going picoless with Intel S1200KPR board. When booting I get two long beeps twice and then the power on led goes off. I checked all voltages in the ATX-24 connector and they are ok. It seems that the power good signal must be delayed.
Anyway, I was already considering buying the Asus H81i-plus mobo because I would like to play MQn avx2.
Nige2000, I see in your signature you are using an I3 processor. Which one? Why did you choose an I3 instead of an I7? Wouldn't an I7 give more flexibility if JPlay improves and betters MQn?
SDTrans384 with 1X5V and 3x3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Soekris DAM1021 Rev2 with +-12V and 3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Salas hotrodded DCB1, LM3875 Gainclone and IPL Acoustics S2TLM transmission line speakers
minionas

Post by minionas »

I just finished a fully working picoless pc build:
MSI B85M-G43 + Haswell I5 4670T + 8GB + PPA SATA CABLED SSD OS with PPA alluminium block + PPA USB + 3M 5100S "box" covered RAM sticks + 3M 5100S sheet under motherboard.
Power supplies at the moment are:
1. Single transformer powered dual rail PPA 12V regulator:
a) - 1 x ATX;
b) - 1 x CPU;
2. Dedicated audio quality transformer powered Audiowind A-270v2 regulated 5V rail - ATX;
3. Dedicated audio quality transformer powered Audiowind A-270v2 regulated 3,3V rail - ATX;
4. Dedicated audio quality transformer powered Audiowind A-270v2 regulated 3,3V rail - PPA Clock module (upgraded "South bridge clock" on motherboard);
5. STONTRONICS single rail 5V linear to Nimh battery pack with Mundorf M-Lytic AudioGrade power cap - SSD;
6. STONTRONICS single rail 5V linear to Nimh battery pack with Mundorf M-Lytic AudioGrade power cap - PPA USB.

All on my PC is connected to single STAR GROUND point on copper bar. ALL the wiring is done with silver plated copper wires in teflon.

Closest plans:
install a LIFEPO4 3,3V cell into PPA clock rail;
install a OS USB and leave SSD for music files storage (ordered USB Sandisk 32GB flash drive and plan to power it with dedicated rail + LIFEPO4); <-- ANYONE DONE THIS WITH GOOD RESULTS COMPARING WITH OS ON SSD (interested only in W2012 server OS) ?
add LIFEPO4 on CPU and all ATX rails;
change STONTRONICS with dedicated audio quality transformer powered Audiowind A-270v2 very low noise regulators and add LIFEPO4;
to do more of 3M 5100S shielding; <-- ANY RECOMMENDATIONS OF PLACES WHERE IT MIGHT GIVE A GOOD RESULT?
to do the DC wiring noise insulation with cotton/alluminium foil combo.

Before going picoless, had a same system just with PPA 12V pico and without no. 2, 3 and 4 power supplies and without STAR GROUND. Going picoless and doing a STAR GROUND brought me lower noise floor and stronger bass, which was apparently noticeable since first seconds of my test tracks.

A bit offtopic: my haswell does not handle AVX2 MQN versions (dos boxes stay, no errors, but also no sound) or the problem is somewhere else... <-- ANYONE WITH SOME HELP OR IDEAS :)?
Last edited by minionas on Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.