Listening Session - Dacs/CDPs

DaveF

Re: Listening Session - Dacs/CDPs

Post by DaveF »

To be honest I think the real reason that the Arcam held off the more expensive DACs is that the Jadis has a very large influence on the sound I get. Its not so transparent to the source to a certain degree. So DACs that are kinda similar arent going to show much differences in my system. The dCS did show quite a difference when I had it in, vastly more detailed than any of the others I tried but in the end it wasn't the sound for me.

So somewhere half way between the Arcam and dCS sound would suit me fine I think.

Not willing to spend much more than 1500euro and would prefer to source it locally or from Cloney's. Much handier that way if a service is ever required.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

What about that Classé CDP300 in Cloney at the mo?

To be honest, I'd be loathe to spend big money on a standalone CD player these days. I mean, I love CDs as much as anyone, I'm still buying them, I don't intend to stop any time soon, but even still...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Diapason wrote:What about that Classé CDP300 in Cloney at the mo?

To be honest, I'd be loathe to spend big money on a standalone CD player these days. I mean, I love CDs as much as anyone, I'm still buying them, I don't intend to stop any time soon, but even still...
That Classe is a DVD player also so perhaps compromised?? I like the look of it and might be easier to service than the Sony. Not high up on the list but wont rule it out either.
Agree with you on the reluctance to spend big on a standalone player hence my max budget of around 1500Euro. Could stretch a bit more if something exceptional comes along. It's an expense that I could do without to be honest as my TT cartridge is in need of a replacement. Its a good 5 years old now and has had fairly heavy use.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

A DVD player? Right!

Have to say, if I were in your shoes I'd go transport and dac...
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Diapason wrote:Have to say, if I were in your shoes I'd go transport and dac...
That would be a better long time solution alright and something I'll eventually do but since I'm highly unlikely to use a souless PC anytime soon I'm not in a rush for a standalone DAC just yet. The Arcam was fine 2 days ago but last night it wouldnt play at all so I need a stopgap asap. The Meridan and Sony have digital outs so in a way that's a transport covered for the future.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Yeah, that all makes sense.

(I have to say, I've been using my NUC as a source for the CDs I've been ripping, and using my phone/iPad as a remote where I can scroll through artwork, etc. It's not the hairshirt approach that most of the CA guys are using here, but I find it very very convenient. Of course, I can't comment on sonics because it's not in use for the main system.)
block

Post by block »

Guess everyones different but after having problems with my sonos and not being able to access my nas I had to go back to my transport I boxed away in my attic.

Hated the inconvenience of going back and forth putting in the cds and searching through a pile stacked a mile high looking for something to listen to.
The icing on the cake was after 2 days of this the cd drawer broke 8).......
PeterK

Post by PeterK »

Hi Dave

some thoughts on your situation, I have a Classe CDP 300 for the last 4 plus years and I have found it to be a great player. Yes it is a DVD player and it also plays DVD-As, a very out of date but unsupported format. Nevertheless it is a fine CD player and imo at the time was better than the Meridian G06, the cheaper of its two players, the G08 ( which also is in Cloneys for sale secondhans and in excellent condition from what I saw last Friday. Cloneys also took delivery on Friday of 2 Cayin players which both were at price points within your budget and they may also be worth checking out. I also demoed the Arcam model against the Meridian and Classe players and it wasn't in the running. Finally you might like to look at the Oppo universal players which have received rave reviews everywhere and they cover all formats. I think you have much choice within your budget and if you want to hear my Classe player feel free to give me a shout and you can come out to me or I can bring it over to you.

Last thought, I think you would be amazed at the difference a sub woofer makes to the Quads. I have 2805s and it is brilliant, in fact as previously stated the only item my wife has said she noticed immediately when put into the system and really liked!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Thanks for the offer Peter. I had a chat with them about the second hand players in stock. The Sony is probably arriving out to me on Friday and is in mint condition. Perhaps a little prejudiced against the Sony badge but it is supposed to be a reference player and a once off monster creation by Sony for the introduction of SACD all those years ago. I have a fair few SACDs in my collection so that's a bonus. Anyway, lets see how it goes first.
PeterK

Post by PeterK »

Good luck with the Sony, a nice machine and SACD also.