Irish Classical Music Composers in my collection

fergus

Re: Irish Classical Music Composers in my collection

Post by fergus »

fergus wrote:

I have just filled one glaring gap in my collection by purchasing this set of the complete Piano Concertos by John Field played by John O'Conor....

I have now added this CD to my growing Field collection....

....I like Mackerras so I am looking forward to hearing this one.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

I have just bought two more Stanford CDs for my collection....

fergus

Post by fergus »

I have now completed my collection of all of Stanford's symphonies with the purchase of....

fergus

Post by fergus »

John Buckley:

John Buckley was born in Co. Limerick in 1951. He studied flute and composition at the Royal Irish Academy of Music and subsequent composition studies were in Cardiff. Following a number of years as a teacher he became a full time composer in 1982 and has since written a diverse range of work, from music for solo instruments to compositions for full orchestra.
Buckley’s music has been performed and broadcast in more than forty countries worldwide. His compositions have represented Ireland on five occasions at the International Rostrum of Composers and at three ISCM festivals.

Concerto for Organ and Orchestra:

The Concerto for Organ and Orchestra was commissioned jointly by the National Concert Hall Dublin, RTE and the Irish Arts Council for the new Concert Hall organ built by Kenneth Jones and inaugurated in September 1991. The work, which was dedicated to Hugh McGinley, was first performed on 26th June 1992, with Peter Sweeney as organist and the NSOI conducted by Robert Houlihan.
In composing the work one of my principal concerns was to maintain a balance between the orchestra and the orchestra, which, in a sense, is like a second orchestra. Frequently, the development of the musical argument takes the form of a dialogue, with organ and orchestra in counterbalance to each other. Throughout the work elaborate organ solos have analogous passages in the orchestra; elsewhere organ and orchestra blend and reinforce each other’s material.

Symphony No. 1:

The first sketches for Symphony No. 1 date from 1983 but the main work on the piece was done during 1987 and the early part of 1988. The first performance was given in June 1988 in the National Concert Hall Dublin by the RTESO (now NSOI) conducted by Albert Rosen. The piece is in two movements, each of which falls into two large-scale sections, giving the impression of a four movement work.
While the Symphony is entirely concerned with musical materials and processes it draws much of its inspiration and character from the forces and patterns of natural phenomena and seasonal changes: Winter-Spring in the first movement and Summer-Autumn in the second.
The Symphony is dedicated to James Wilson, who was my composition teacher from 1971 to 1976.

(All notes by John Buckley)
fergus

Post by fergus »

jaybee wrote:I have the wonderful John O'Conor playing the Nocturnes....,

I have now received the John Field Nocturnes played by John O'Conor....

fergus

Post by fergus »

Another CD of John Field's music arrived today; this time four piano sonatas....

....once again played by John O'Connor.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Frank Corcoran:

Frank Corcoran was born in Tipperary in 1944. He studied in Dublin, Rome and Berlin and he returned to Berlin in 1980 with a Composer Fellowship. Since 1983 he has served as professor of composition and theory in Hamburg and in 1989-90 was a Fullbright guest-professor in the USA lecturing at CalArts, Harvard, Bloomington, Boston College and elsewhere. His compositions include four symphonies, the first of which was first performed in Vienna in 1981, and several orchestral, chamber, electronic and choral works. His compositions have been performed widely at home and abroad and he has received many commissions and awards, being represented at the International Rostrum of Composers in Paris, at Aspekte Salzburg, the Zagreb Biennale and elsewhere.

Symphonies 2, 3 & 4:

Corcoran on his Second Symphony:

I began my Second Symphony in Berlin in 1981. I wanted to compose vast sound-masses, bright or dark, with plenty of space between them. I composed expanding silences. I intended the two movements to mirror each other. In the first, all is non metrical, spaced; in the second, the same musical stuff is measured in real bars. The big battery of percussion divides, underlies, comments on, asserts or questions my opening string music, smeared chorales and fudged wind passages. I composed an archaic, elemental world. In the second movement, those tightly weaving string canons and wind hymns use the same tones and intervals. Metered and non metered passages are split in the age old struggle of Chaos and Order. At the end of my symphony there is a real gain in order, in composed control of the material. The final music of the bases grows out of sound and fury.

Corcoran on his Third Symphony:

The genesis of my Third Symphony was in 1994. My formal problem here was how to construct a single long movement out of my then favourite notes C sharp, D, E flat, G, A flat and their neighbouring notes. Why those notes? I do not know. Perhaps it was the sheer amount of harmonic ambiguity such a collection offers, depending on which note is on top, in the middle or on the bottom.

Corcoran on his Fourth Symphony:

The story of Orpheus is that of many composers. My Fourth Symphony too. Certainly, the birth of music was associated with ritual killing (not that sound was a substitute for violence, a tonal scapegoat). Here is my dolmen in sound, violence controlled on the leash. Again those six notes from my Third Symphony continued to haunt me. I began working in 1996. It was a hard year, the year of C sharp and D. Those high oboes at the opening are Orphean. There is a story in this single movement work, but it is a tone story of piled up energies, vast virtual space. It is both Cagean and Aristotelian. You hear the arch-forms; ears understand the logic of my story. It is a logic of chaos.

[Notes by Frank Corcoran]
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Great work on this thread Fergus. I havent heard most of this composers apart from John Field. I'll be passing by Tower tomorrow I think and I'll have a root around for some of the above.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:Great work on this thread Fergus. I havent heard most of this composers apart from John Field. I'll be passing by Tower tomorrow I think and I'll have a root around for some of the above.

Thank you Dave. It will be interesting to see if you come back with anything and if so what you come back with!
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

fergus wrote:
jaybee wrote:I have the wonderful John O'Conor playing the Nocturnes....,

I have now received the John Field Nocturnes played by John O'Conor....

enjoy!!!

I quite like the Telarc sound for piano.... used to have a lovely Chopin disc played by Malcolm frager

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....