New speakers or Eist Dubh 2!

Equipment, accessory and music reviews
jkeny

Re: New speakers or Eist Dubh 2!

Post by jkeny »

BTW, Ivor, what is your preamp - I presume that it is well regarded?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Interesting thoughts about the JMR speakers as well. I really liked them when I briefly heard them, but then I forgot about them. But never mind that, I need hear the Eist Dubhs myself. I might have to invite myself over soon...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

jkeny wrote:BTW, Ivor, what is your preamp - I presume that it is well regarded?

It is but it's old. An Audio Innovations p200. (or some similar model number!) The thing is it worked well with the Quads..

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote:Interesting thoughts about the JMR speakers as well. I really liked them when I briefly heard them, but then I forgot about them. But never mind that, I need hear the Eist Dubhs myself. I might have to invite myself over soon...

No bother.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ah that was a superb piece of writing Ivor. Sometimes the journey's long, sometimes it's short but perseverance (and experience) will get you there in the end. Enjoy :)
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Very kind words Ivor - thanks indeed!

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Terry

Post by Terry »

Off camping tomorrow Ivor. Hope we end up as happy as you are. Great write up and looking forward to hearing them in the walnut when we get back. Enjoy. T
System 1. LP12/Mose Hercules/Ittok LVII/ATOC9III, Dynavector P75 MkIII, Denon DCD-A100, iPad/AirPlay, Accuphase e303x, Gale gs401a.
System2. iMac/Tidal, iFI Dac, Dynavector L200 pre, Croft Iosis, Sonus Faber Auditor M.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Congratulations Ivor. The Dubhs are a wonderful speaker which have never failed to impress whenever I have heard them. They do take a bit of time to open out but they eventually blossom wonderfully. Happy listening and much enjoyment ahead for you!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Terry

Post by Terry »

Meant to ask... If dispensing with a pre amp (and it's range of inputs) what to do if one decides to go directly from dac into power (ala Markof). Turntable, CD player and computer to be considered?
System 1. LP12/Mose Hercules/Ittok LVII/ATOC9III, Dynavector P75 MkIII, Denon DCD-A100, iPad/AirPlay, Accuphase e303x, Gale gs401a.
System2. iMac/Tidal, iFI Dac, Dynavector L200 pre, Croft Iosis, Sonus Faber Auditor M.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Terry wrote:Meant to ask... If dispensing with a pre amp (and it's range of inputs) what to do if one decides to go directly from dac into power (ala Markof). Turntable, CD player and computer to be considered?

the Airtight has 2 inputs Terry, that's CD and turntable. All a real man needs. ;)