New speakers or Eist Dubh 2!

Equipment, accessory and music reviews
Terry

Re: New speakers or Eist Dubh 2!

Post by Terry »

the Airtight has 2 inputs Terry, that's CD and turntable. All a real man needs. ;)[/quote]

So what's the workaround for us wannabe men?
System 1. LP12/Mose Hercules/Ittok LVII/ATOC9III, Dynavector P75 MkIII, Denon DCD-A100, iPad/AirPlay, Accuphase e303x, Gale gs401a.
System2. iMac/Tidal, iFI Dac, Dynavector L200 pre, Croft Iosis, Sonus Faber Auditor M.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Terry wrote:the Airtight has 2 inputs Terry, that's CD and turntable. All a real man needs. ;)
So what's the workaround for us wannabe men?[/quote]

You must choose Grasshopper.... or use a preamp. I would like a tape loop for headphones but it's not worth it.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
markof

Post by markof »

Terry wrote:Meant to ask... If dispensing with a pre amp (and it's range of inputs) what to do if one decides to go directly from dac into power (ala Markof). Turntable, CD player and computer to be considered?
Its a bit of a pain as I have to reboot the ariand to use the preamp circuitry with the cd or turntable but as I use the computer source 90% of the time it's a small price to pay.

Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Congrats Ivor on the speakers
I know I'm very fond of my set

Good writeup and was Interesting to hear about the preamp
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Ivor , could you post a few pics of the Eist Walnuts? I'd love to see how they look. You'll be surprised by the bass available after good run-in.
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
Claus

Post by Claus »

Great read Ivor! Very interesting regarding the preamp...
Seán

Post by Seán »

Your initial post is a very enjoyable and informative read, thanks Ivor.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Ken Moreland wrote:Ivor , could you post a few pics of the Eist Walnuts? I'd love to see how they look. You'll be surprised by the bass available after good run-in.
KM

I will of course plus an ongoing 'review' as they break in. It will be another week or so before I actually have them home.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Now that I'm happy knowing the speakers are playing as well as they can in my system I've relaxed into listening old familiar recordings to determine exactly what I'm getting. Some Bowie, Waits, Lloyd Cole, recent John Grant, Dolly Parton ("Jolene" specifically - great guitar line and subtle bongos after the 2nd verse!) Dylan and a smattering of random familiar tracks. Vocals, or more precisely lyrics, are much clearer. We all have our own collection of classic mis-heard lyrics but here every syllable and inflection is crisp and clear. A Tom Waits track I've known since about 1977 now boasts a prominent violin track sitting out from the orchestra providing a beautiful counter melody to the vocals. I look forward to more such discoveries!

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

You seem to be more than happy with the speakers Ivor. The search for Quad replacements didnt that long afterall. Would you think that the more room around them compared to the Quads help the sound? (Something I need to experiment with here)

I guess the preamp might be up for sale at some point?
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP