Allman Brothers....

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Allman Brothers....

Post by cybot »

tweber

Re: Allman Brothers....

Post by tweber »

Thanks Dermot, added to the list. Unfortunately the finance department isn't looking favourably on all the recent vinyl activity so will have to get a radar jammer too!
Remember being blown away when I first heard Stormy Monday & Statesboro Blues on a blues compilation LP years ago, must dig it out again.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

The Allman Brothers were one of my favourite bands for many years... I think my taste for over long guitar solos waned over the years - alongside a growing taste for songs that were no more than 3.00 minutes long! I don't know if I'd dig so deep for so many versions of the same songs... I do have my copy of Fillmore East on CD (my original US issue copy on vinyl was nicked!) so that will do me for now....
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:The Allman Brothers were one of my favourite bands for many years... I think my taste for over long guitar solos waned over the years - alongside a growing taste for songs that were no more than 3.00 minutes long! I don't know if I'd dig so deep for so many versions of the same songs... I do have my copy of Fillmore East on CD (my original US issue copy on vinyl was nicked!) so that will do me for now....
I hear what you're saying Ivor but as they were an exceptional cooking live unit you got different versions of the same songs every night. Also the 4 Lp set contains a whole new set of never before released performances. All 14 of them :)

The only thing that always bugs me though is the inclusion of that confounded long opus called appropriately enough 'Mountain Jam'. I have two versions, one from 'Ludlow's Garage' and another from the Fillmore East. I really, really don't need another one. The fact it was left off the original album speaks volumes. Anyway how can stuff like this suddenly surface after lying buried in some vault for nearly forty years?????? Anyway I simply can't resist the lure of Duane and Dickey doing their thing as only they knew how. So you can take a wild guess what I'm going to do ;)

Oh bad luck on the American pressing getting nicked :( I actually own an original US pressing along with the normal English one and, for sound, the English pressing wins hands down. If that's any consolation :)
cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote:Thanks Dermot, added to the list. Unfortunately the finance department isn't looking favourably on all the recent vinyl activity so will have to get a radar jammer too!
Remember being blown away when I first heard Stormy Monday & Statesboro Blues on a blues compilation LP years ago, must dig it out again.
No worries Shane! Have you not got the original album? Surely you've heard 'Liz Reed, Hot Lanta etc etc. If you haven't then it would be wiser to invest in it first before you buy the mammoth two nighter sets....

I'm the same in the finance dept. as I've just pulled the trigger on the triple Cream at the Albert Hall set along with a few more. There's so many albums I want to get right now :( Beefheart's 'Safe as Milk' Mono and deluxe editions along with another double set of post SAM sessions. Ten Years After's 'Undead' double Lp deluxe edition. Also I'm agonising over whether to go for the imminent Beatles Mono vinyl box set in Sept. or invest in the albums seperately. Decisions, decisions :)
tweber

Post by tweber »

cybot wrote:
tweber wrote:Thanks Dermot, added to the list. Unfortunately the finance department isn't looking favourably on all the recent vinyl activity so will have to get a radar jammer too!
No worries Shane! Have you not got the original album? Surely you've heard 'Liz Reed, Hot Lanta etc etc. If you haven't then it would be wiser to invest in it first before you buy the mammoth two nighter sets....

I'm the same in the finance dept. as I've just pulled the trigger on the triple Cream at the Albert Hall set along with a few more. There's so many albums I want to get right now :( Beefheart's 'Safe as Milk' Mono and deluxe editions along with another double set of post SAM sessions. Ten Years After's 'Undead' double Lp deluxe edition. Also I'm agonising over whether to go for the imminent Beatles Mono vinyl box set in Sept. or invest in the albums seperately. Decisions, decisions :)
Yeah I have a "back-up" copy of it alright Dermot but never got around to buying it on vinyl.I get Ivor's comments too but sometimes resistance is futile....
cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote:
cybot wrote:

Yeah I have a "back-up" copy of it alright Dermot but never got around to buying it on vinyl.I get Ivor's comments too but sometimes resistance is futile....
You know it makes sense Shane :)
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

I picked up the 4LP Boxset recently and boy was I disappointed. It is so dead and lifeless, when you hear the original Capricorn Pink label original this just pales in comparison. I thought I was getting a good deal with 20% off, unfortunately for me it was no bargain!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 10:23 pm I picked up the 4LP Boxset recently and boy was I disappointed. It is so dead and lifeless, when you hear the original Capricorn Pink label original this just pales in comparison. I thought I was getting a good deal with 20% off, unfortunately for me it was no bargain!
I also have that box set which cost me nothing as I bought it with Christmas voucher. I didn't really need it but I got it anyway as you do :) I was disappointed that there was no booklet included. As for the sound you just cannot even think of comparing it to the originals. As you say there is absolutely no comparison. I also believe the label wouldn't know a master tape if it choked them! All, ahem, hi res files I believe. But.....if you turn the wick up a bit it doesn't sound as bad. I did that recently and it wasn't as bad as I had previously thought. Must be the new arm ;)
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

[/quote]

I also have that box set which cost me nothing as I bought it with Christmas voucher. I didn't really need it but I got it anyway as you do :) I was disappointed that there was no booklet included. As for the sound you just cannot even think of comparing it to the originals. As you say there is absolutely no comparison. I also believe the label wouldn't know a master tape if it choked them! All, ahem, hi res files I believe. But.....if you turn the wick up a bit it doesn't sound as bad. I did that recently and it wasn't as bad as I had previously thought. Must be the new arm ;)
[/quote]

Have you got an original Capricorn Pink label? I used to have a UK original and a US cream label Capricorn, they pale in comparison.

Now that I think of it I must play it on the Quadrals.