Vinyl. General News for lovers of the black stuff

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Ivor

Re: Vinyl. General News for lovers of the black stuff

Post by Ivor »

A Ted Talk on crate digging... it only applies to vinyl junkies!

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

questions were asked as to where vinyl can be bought without losing a limb.

I like Freebird on Wicklow St for new and S/H vinyl, Spindizzy good too and of course Tower. My aversion to stairs means I personally rarely go to Tower but they do have the goods.

Golden Discs are dear but use them, pick and chose. You can grab long lost favourites in their 2 for €40 offers

Online I've used Spindizzy and been very happy, I'm sure the other local "bricks & mortar" stores have mail order too (support your local stores folks!)

I've just been reintroduced to https://www.bear-family.com/vinyl/ by an old radio DJ mate at a time when I thought I had my addiction under control. Expect to find a lot of stuff you didn't know you wanted and you'll be happy to spend much more than you budgeted for. There are bargains to be had there but I'll admit I never placed an order for less than 6 LPs at a time! It's a fantastic resource of you're that kind of fan. I am!

Recently artists are selling direct to their fans, Gillian Welch comes to mind as Does BIll Callahan - which leads me to mention Bandcamp. The idea that money spend is going directly(ish) to the artist pleases me.

Also there are various marts and fairs, a regular favourite is Vintage Vinyl on facebook which has evolved into a weekend Mens Shed in Rathangan KIldare. One day we might once again be allowed to go there when the virus dissipates a bit...

feel free to add any suggestions... I know I will have missed some obvious ones

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

The Record Spot used to be great, but unfortunately it has gone, but I do believe it is to reopen soon in some form or another. Dublin Vinyl in Dun Laoghaire is worth a visit, maybe not repeatedly as stock doesn't appear to change a lot!

I have to say that Spindizzy Records have upped their game over the last 18 months with new releases and secondhand well stocked.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Cyndale wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:01 pm The Record Spot used to be great, but unfortunately it has gone, but I do believe it is to reopen soon in some form or another. Dublin Vinyl in Dun Laoghaire is worth a visit, maybe not repeatedly as stock doesn't appear to change a lot!

I have to say that Spindizzy Records have upped their game over the last 18 months with new releases and secondhand well stocked.
I didn't mention the Record Spot/RAGE as I was ripped off twice by the owner. Happy to put that in print.

I was in Dublin Vinyl at the weekend and I did well but quality and stock can vary. I imagine in the current climate not a lot of S/H stuff came in. It's' the sort of operation I like to support but they have to have the stock in!

Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Taking notes...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
markof

Post by markof »

music zone
Based in Cork but I believe they have a postal service.
Run by some very dedicated folk

https://musiczone.ie

Mark
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
tweber

Post by tweber »

markof wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:54 am music zone
Based in Cork but I believe they have a postal service.
Run by some very dedicated folk

https://musiczone.ie

Mark
I'm biased but Mark has highlighted a "real" record store who has online presence. Ray, Bobby and Shane know their stuff and Ray's prices often beat the big onlines. Really passionate about all music and have hosted a lot of nice instores too. We need to support these guys whenever possible
cybot

Post by cybot »

Plus 1
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

And plus 1 here too. As I said above support your local shop. When all.this madness ends (or abates) we will want to physically browse and meet our geek peers again.

Ivor

Post by Ivor »

sound qulity (2).jpg
sound qulity (2).jpg (122.61 KiB) Viewed 550 times